Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fiesta Mk6 (2006) Starter Motor Problem - 1.4 Petrol

Mrmark941

Hi all, 

Been some time since I've been active on here! 

I've actually got rid of my fiesta recently but I'm having problems with my parents Fiesta now. 

I've noticed that over recent weeks (more days) it's taken a while for the car to start. Yesterday I looked to start the car and it was *very* juddery and finally started. Today I received a phone call from my mum who's mentioned that the car will now no longer start. 

The battery on the car was recently changed, so I don't think that this is it. 

I'm looking at purchasing one from Euro Car Parts (Link) and then fitting it myself as they currently have 30% off too. 

Does anyone have any form of instructions to replace this part? I've done some searching and can find bits and bobs - But I cannot find an exact instructions. 

I'm pretty competent with engines and cars so it shouldn't be a problem but just want to confirm before going all out. 

Thanks! 

was it like the battery was not fully charged when you tried to start it? It might have had a recent battery but do you know it is charging properly eg. are you sure it is not an Alternator problem?   eg. the alternator does not charge properly, or it does charge when the engine is running but the battery then discharges back through alternator when parked (this can happen due to problems with the diodes in the rectifier pack within the alternator). or perhaps a cable problem, loose or corroded connections?

It may well be the starter motor. Many years ago you could take a starter motor apart and replace the carbon brushes and clean up the commutator on the end of the armature

BadCommutatorBar-Labels-3.jpg

10 minutes ago, isetta said:

was it like the battery was not fully charged when you tried to start it? It might have had a recent battery but do you know it is charging properly eg. are you sure it is not an Alternator problem?   eg. the alternator does not charge properly, or it does charge when the engine is running but the battery then discharges back through alternator when parked (this can happen due to problems with the diodes in the rectifier pack within the alternator). or perhaps a cable problem, loose or corroded connections?

It may well be the starter motor. Many years ago you could take a starter motor apart and replace the carbon brushes and clean up the commutator on the end of the armature

Hey Isetta, 

Cheers for the info - I've taken a look but it's fully charged and outputting the correct voltage. 

The reason I'm thinking it's the starter motor is because it's clicking and sounds like it's stressed. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club