Jump to content
Do Not Sell My Personal Information


Am I out of luck for remapping?


Birch
 Share

Recommended Posts

Wanted to get my Fiesta a stage 1 remap but after quoting my insurance company for it they said they won't insure me if I did it. Is there a way around this or am I out of luck?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Luke4efc said:

Don't tell them?

I thought about that but what are the chances that it'll get checked if I get into an accident. Is that even a thing they can do?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well if you start adding a new exhaust and changing too much, then they'll probably look into it yeah, it's pretty easy to plug into the ecu and see how it's been tampered with. Just don't crash is the best way. If they do find out you will get shafted though, I've never even got the point of remapping these sorts of cars anyway, Ford already make them pretty much as good as they get out the factory. Might be mistaken (not had much experience with Fiesta's really), but surely you need other mods to support the map (such as injectors, cams, exhaust, etc.) or you won't get much power gain.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Birch said:

I thought about that but what are the chances that it'll get checked if I get into an accident. Is that even a thing they can do?

Now you've asked them about it, it's in their records. In the event of a crash with you being suspected of speeding, driving aggressively, or accelerating hard a remap will be the first thing they look for.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


3 hours ago, Luke4efc said:

Well if you start adding a new exhaust and changing too much, then they'll probably look into it yeah, it's pretty easy to plug into the ecu and see how it's been tampered with. Just don't crash is the best way. If they do find out you will get shafted though, I've never even got the point of remapping these sorts of cars anyway, Ford already make them pretty much as good as they get out the factory. Might be mistaken (not had much experience with Fiesta's really), but surely you need other mods to support the map (such as injectors, cams, exhaust, etc.) or you won't get much power gain.

Not true on either account.

Manufacturers tune for the best compromise between loads of things. Performance, economy, emissions, serviceability, longevity are all such factors. It's also common to have supposedly different engines when the only difference is the map. Take Fiat-Alfa. Their 1.4 multiair engine is available with 118bhp, 138bhp and 168bhp. The only difference is the map.

It's easy to get sizable gains out of almost any turbo powered car with just a remap. No other modifications needed.

It is however true that normally aspirated engines will need the modifications you speak of. But many, if not most engines, are smaller turbocharged units nowadays. So more people have easily increased power available.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

When it comes to your insurance renewal shop around. At the same time ask what effect a remap would have on your premium. I'm sure that not all insurers would refuse to cover you. My advice is always declare mods and remaps

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Jezza54 said:

When it comes to your insurance renewal shop around. At the same time ask what effect a remap would have on your premium. I'm sure that not all insurers would refuse to cover you. My advice is always declare mods and remaps

My worry is that if something does happen after I get a remap then I'll be quite a bit of trouble. I'm 21 so my insurance is already silly for a 1.6. I'll probably give it a wait until my insurance is up next year, no doubt I'm swapping anyway because my current one is terrible. Cheers everyone.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

for stuff like a map and other hardware units you bolt on its best to tell them and pay the extra purely due to if some one rear ends you and writes your car off they wont pay you all that money and left you with nothing

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, GaryPL said:

Not true on either account.

Manufacturers tune for the best compromise between loads of things. Performance, economy, emissions, serviceability, longevity are all such factors. It's also common to have supposedly different engines when the only difference is the map. Take Fiat-Alfa. Their 1.4 multiair engine is available with 118bhp, 138bhp and 168bhp. The only difference is the map.

It's easy to get sizable gains out of almost any turbo powered car with just a remap. No other modifications needed.

It is however true that normally aspirated engines will need the modifications you speak of. But many, if not most engines, are smaller turbocharged units nowadays. So more people have easily increased power available.

I'm such a wallie. I saw that he had the pre-facelift and somehow forgot that they have a turbo too. In that case yeah you can remap pretty easily lol.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


19 hours ago, Luke4efc said:

Don't tell them?

Wow, bad advice.

Could also just not bother getting any insurance.

If you can't afford to insure the mods, even after shopping around then don't do them. It's usually cheaper to buy a faster car than modify your car when you are under 25.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, alexp999 said:

Wow, bad advice.

Could also just not bother getting any insurance.

If you can't afford to insure the mods, even after shopping around then don't do them. It's usually cheaper to buy a faster car than modify your car when you are under 25.

It's not that I can't afford to, it's that my insurance won't insure me if I do.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Forums


News


Membership