Jump to content
Do Not Sell My Personal Information


Removing exterior vinyl stripes


chrisjw
 Share

Recommended Posts

I've just ordered some exterior stripes for the car & was wondering about the problem of removing  them sometime down the line. Do they leave any marks on the car bodywork once removed or will it be ok?........

 

Chris.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, GaryPL said:

The more red in a colour, the more prone it is to fading.

Hi Gary

So white should hopefully be ok in that case. I'm thinking also of the stripes fading, so I might order a spare set as future replacements.

 

Chris.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Technically anything that block sunlight from hitting the original finish if the car will prevent the UV rays from affecting that area. So if you remove the stripes down the line, the area underneath will be preserved. Meaning it may look different from the areas that were not covered. Ie= darker/original finish.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


1 minute ago, chrisjw said:

Hi Gary

So white should hopefully be ok in that case. I'm thinking also of the stripes fading, so I might order a spare set as future replacements.

 

Chris.

White should largely avoid the bleaching effect, but paint like anything else outdoors, suffers from weathering. Your paint could over time become duller due to micro scratches and so on. You whip the vinyl decals off and underneath it's like the paint was the day you wrapped it. If maintaining the ability to return to original appearance is important to you, decals really aren't the modification I'd go for. Obviously weathering takes time, but given that there are so many factors that affect how well your paint lasts (sun, salt/road treatments, how well you look after the bodywork, bird droppings, tree sap, etc) I wouldn't want to say how long the decals should stay on.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

White should largely avoid the bleaching effect, but paint like anything else outdoors, suffers from weathering. Your paint could over time become duller due to micro scratches and so on. You whip the vinyl decals off and underneath it's like the paint was the day you wrapped it. If maintaining the ability to return to original appearance is important to you, decals really aren't the modification I'd go for. Obviously weathering takes time, but given that there are so many factors that affect how well your paint lasts (sun, salt/road treatments, how well you look after the bodywork, bird droppings, tree sap, etc) I wouldn't want to say how long the decals should stay on.


Yep. Exactly what is was trying to say.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Each to their own and all that but are you trying to make your Fiesta look like one of those 'limited' edition Corsa's that you see parked up in MacDonalds drive thru on a Friday night?


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Jonro2009 said:

Each to their own and all that but are you trying to make your Fiesta look like one of those 'limited' edition Corsa's that you see parked up in MacDonalds drive thru on a Friday night?


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm not really sure what you are trying to imply by your rather strange statement, but I happen to be the other side of 60, so any desire to join the "Boy Racer" brigade are well & truly scuppered. I happen to think that the exterior body modification I had in mind is both subtle & pleasing to the eye & I have always taken great pride in looking after my vehicles & their appearance. I was merely asking if it might affect the bodywork if removed at a later date. Thank you for your helpful input, but maybe if you can't offer up a decent & polite suggestion or answer, maybe it would be better not to comment at all. We are all built differently & like/dislike different things, but it's a personal choice. This is the stripe I had in mind by the way, which in my opinion, looks quite tasteful...........I take great pride in looking after my cars & always have done & by adding the odd visual improvements help make the car individual, in my opinion.

Fiesta Side Stripe.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, GaryPL said:

White should largely avoid the bleaching effect, but paint like anything else outdoors, suffers from weathering. Your paint could over time become duller due to micro scratches and so on. You whip the vinyl decals off and underneath it's like the paint was the day you wrapped it. If maintaining the ability to return to original appearance is important to you, decals really aren't the modification I'd go for. Obviously weathering takes time, but given that there are so many factors that affect how well your paint lasts (sun, salt/road treatments, how well you look after the bodywork, bird droppings, tree sap, etc) I wouldn't want to say how long the decals should stay on.

Hi Gary

Yes, I take pride in the appearance of my cars, so am dubious about causing any imperfections to it's original appearance.  I may have to rethink this idea for that reason. I tend to keep my cars for long periods of time once I've found the one I want, so I would have to live with it.

 

Chris.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


6 hours ago, GaryPL said:

White should largely avoid the bleaching effect, but paint like anything else outdoors, suffers from weathering. Your paint could over time become duller due to micro scratches and so on. You whip the vinyl decals off and underneath it's like the paint was the day you wrapped it. If maintaining the ability to return to original appearance is important to you, decals really aren't the modification I'd go for. Obviously weathering takes time, but given that there are so many factors that affect how well your paint lasts (sun, salt/road treatments, how well you look after the bodywork, bird droppings, tree sap, etc) I wouldn't want to say how long the decals should stay on.

Good advice & I've taken it on board. My aim is to keep the car as original as possible, with just a few cosmetic modifications to the interior/exterior. I'm more into keeping the car looking clean & tidy. The limited number of alterations I would make to it's appearance, is mainly to put my own stamp on it visually. I always try to think things through before doing them & I find it helps to get other peoples opinions & advice first.

 

Chris.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, kpg said:

Technically anything that block sunlight from hitting the original finish if the car will prevent the UV rays from affecting that area. So if you remove the stripes down the line, the area underneath will be preserved. Meaning it may look different from the areas that were not covered. Ie= darker/original finish.

Hi Kiefer

That was what I was thinking & wanted it confirmed before proceeding.

 

Chris.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Bobr said:

Depends on the colour of the car.   Some colours fade a bit and the paint under the stripes won't fade.

Hi Bob

 

Yes, I tend to be a bit OCD when it comes to appearance & wanted it confirmed that this could happen before doing it.

 

Chris.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Incidentally, for anyone interested, I've started a thread in the "Ford Project & Build" section, outlining the small modifications/improvements I've made cosmetically so far.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, chrisjw said:

Hi Bob

Yes, I tend to be a bit OCD when it comes to appearance & wanted it confirmed that this could happen before doing it.

Chris.

I wouldn't do it Chris.   Not even to a white car.   It could still show up when you remove it a year or more down the line.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Bobr said:

I wouldn't do it Chris.   Not even to a white car.   It could still show up when you remove it a year or more down the line.

I think this has decided me against the idea now Bob.  Shame I didn't enquire before buying them, but if I ever decide to sell it in the future, I might put them on then.

 

Chris.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'd hate to stir the pot, but I don't think it's quite as bad as what people are making it out to be.

My mate has a red corsa that had white stripes. He took them off when he first got it. Alright there was a little mark left behind on the boot (but I think he couldn't be arsed at that point so rushed it) but after a week or two and a couple of washes it disappeared to the point you can't tell. They were fitted from factory and on the car for 3 years. Car had done 10,000 miles (but could have been garaged, we'll never know).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, Luke4efc said:

I'd hate to stir the pot, but I don't think it's quite as bad as what people are making it out to be.

My mate has a red corsa that had white stripes. He took them off when he first got it. Alright there was a little mark left behind on the boot (but I think he couldn't be arsed at that point so rushed it) but after a week or two and a couple of washes it disappeared to the point you can't tell. They were fitted from factory and on the car for 3 years. Car had done 10,000 miles (but could have been garaged, we'll never know).

Hi Luke

 

I must admit I'm torn between fitting them or not.........I think they make the car look even smarter than it already does, but the fact that it may mark the bodywork is the only thing that's stopping me.

 

Chris.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm not really sure what you are trying to imply by your rather strange statement, but I happen to be the other side of 60, so any desire to join the "Boy Racer" brigade are well & truly scuppered. I happen to think that the exterior body modification I had in mind is both subtle & pleasing to the eye & I have always taken great pride in looking after my vehicles & their appearance. I was merely asking if it might affect the bodywork if removed at a later date. Thank you for your helpful input, but maybe if you can't offer up a decent & polite suggestion or answer, maybe it would be better not to comment at all. We are all built differently & like/dislike different things, but it's a personal choice. This is the stripe I had in mind by the way, which in my opinion, looks quite tasteful...........I take great pride in looking after my cars & always have done & by adding the odd visual improvements help make the car individual, in my opinion.
5957256963ea1_FiestaSideStripe.thumb.jpg.d0477c9e46a5e7b75deb85ccf815b0d9.jpg


My comment was not intended to be impolite or strange, when you said vinyl stripes I imagined the 'dodge' stripes running front to back, as I am sure others may have done. My personal choice is a clean car with clean lines, i de badge all my cars and like to keep them clean and well looked after. In my experience paint has come a long way and fades less than it used to, especially red. Red keeps it's colour far longer than it used to. Having said that when I de badge my cars I do it as soon as possible so as not to risk any subtle differences. Dealers will not normally debadge a car for you if they didn't get it from the factory that way for that reason. I would expect some noticeable differences if you removed the stripes after say 1-2 years but nothing a good machine polish wouldn't fix.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'd do it, and have recently done it on my Fusion project, but I make efforts to keep the car clean and waxed to cut down on environmental chemicals reacting with UV to cause fade and dulling.  If you have a halfway decent cleaning regimen you'll be fine.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Jethro_Tull said:

I'd do it, and have recently done it on my Fusion project, but I make efforts to keep the car clean and waxed to cut down on environmental chemicals reacting with UV to cause fade and dulling.  If you have a halfway decent cleaning regimen you'll be fine.

Hi Gerald

I usually wax & detail the car every other week, so it's normally spotless & the bodywork is well protected.

 

Chris.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, Jonro2009 said:

 


My comment was not intended to be impolite or strange, when you said vinyl stripes I imagined the 'dodge' stripes running front to back, as I am sure others may have done. My personal choice is a clean car with clean lines, i de badge all my cars and like to keep them clean and well looked after. In my experience paint has come a long way and fades less than it used to, especially red. Red keeps it's colour far longer than it used to. Having said that when I de badge my cars I do it as soon as possible so as not to risk any subtle differences. Dealers will not normally debadge a car for you if they didn't get it from the factory that way for that reason. I would expect some noticeable differences if you removed the stripes after say 1-2 years but nothing a good machine polish wouldn't fix.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

 

Then I obviously read this part wrongly............

 

"but are you trying to make your Fiesta look like one of those 'limited' edition Corsa's that you see parked up in MacDonalds drive thru on a Friday night?" 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Its your car Chris, do what makes you smile.  The posts above are worthy of note inasmuch as stripes can highlight fade and wear and tear with time, but it sounds as if you keep your paint in good order so any problem is liable to be very minimal.  Go for it, and show us a pic.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Then I obviously read this part wrongly............
 
"but are you trying to make your Fiesta look like one of those 'limited' edition Corsa's that you see parked up in MacDonalds drive thru on a Friday night?" 


I don't see how that is 'impolite' but if you read it that way and took offence to it then so be it. I've also said things about paint, detailing and machine polishing which you have chosen to ignore. I'll leave you to it old man, enjoy your car and do what pleases you.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Forums


News


Membership