Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Engine Ticking Over Loudly

Leezer

So it's been a while since I've posted here but thought I'd reach out for some help. My 1ltr ecoboost is sounding rather loud ticking over (happening intermittently but definitely more frequently once the car has been running. Symptoms are the louder engine noise like a sort of rattle at idle that stop once I move off and I can feel the vibrations of the rattle through the pedals ever so slightly. Have left it in with ford twice who says the engine sounds fine but I know the technician hasn't given the car a proper run out to check. I think they just don't want to find a problem if that makes sense?

Anyone suggestions as to what this might be?

Anyone else had this prob?

Warranty up soon so need to get it sorted.

Ta.

On 05/07/2017 at 7:33 AM, Jethro_Tull said:

Why would they not want to find a problem? They get paid good money to fix it.

Not really the point of my question to be honest.

Eh? You asked the question, I answered it. They're a business, and they're not in business to not find faults and not get paid by Ford to rectify them.

Your description isn't terribly helpful I'm afraid.  Top or bottom of engine? Left or right? Is it road or engine speed related, or neither?  Apparent when driven hard or driven gently?

If you can feel it through the pedals I'm wondering if it might be clutch related, but that's the vaguest of ideas from the information provided.

I'd take it back and try again.  If they still claim its fine then you can politely insist they allow you to compare with one from their forecourt.

It seems Ecoboosts are well known for being rattly at idle.  I've no experience with these engines at all, but a quick google brought up this as the first result which may be of help?  Is it the same type of noise?

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=129&t=1629490

Ford engines in general are quite rattly, nothing a loud exhaust doesn't fix, but it's certainly the biggest downside for me. It sounds like it's done 150,000 miles not 15,000. Ecoboosts shouldn't be as bad as they are only a 3 cylinder (it sort of purrs at you instead).

Not sure if the 1.0l is the same as the 1.6 but mines runs a high pressure fuel pump which is run off the cam shaft and can tend to sound rattly but the sound is normal on mine.