Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Car Steering Vibration Following MOT

fiestadoor

Hi All,

My 2005 zetec fiesta recently had an MOT, failed on broken number plate (not a problem).

As part of the test they shake the car like mad, it seemed pretty violent which concerned me, prior to the MOT I had no problems with the car at all.

As soon as I pull out of the centre, turning left I can feel a vibration almost rubbing. This is most apparent as slow speeds and doesnt appear turning right. 

1.Tyres are fine, full of air.

2. I got them to take a look at the car on the ramp- spring/suspension are fine from what I can see no obvious damage or reason for the rubbing/vibration.

3. From my research could it be: a bearing issue? a steering pump faulting? 

4. There was no issue before the MOT but the issue started immediately after, what could this be? 

Appreciate your help guys, anyone else experience this or an idea of what it could be?

My initial thoughts are they shake the wheels so bring up any problems that may not show for a few weeks or so. If anything they've just highlighted the problem sooner rather than later. I take it on the ramp they inspected everything such as the anti roll bar, tie rods, steering rack, lower control arm, ball joints etc.

when you think about how much shock a car must endure on bumps / potholes etc at speed, any shaking of the car must be small in comparison and I don't see how any amount of shaking of it by a human could possibly be the actual cause of any damage

3 hours ago, Luke4efc said:

My initial thoughts are they shake the wheels so bring up any problems that may not show for a few weeks or so. If anything they've just highlighted the problem sooner rather than later. I take it on the ramp they inspected everything such as the anti roll bar, tie rods, steering rack, lower control arm, ball joints etc.

They shake the car to check for wear in bushes and connecting linkages etc.

Mine had a shake when driving if the mechanic didn't give it a real good shake the bearing in the long driveshaft would have been difficult to see as just looking at it as I did, it looked fine but the wear showed up by giving it some stick.He also found a rubber in the control arm was soft and ripped(a common fault) Replacing the shaft( ouch expensive) and rubber  did the trick. drives fine now no shake.