Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Engine Fan Misbehaves

TDR|XTC

Ok so I bought recently a Ford Fiesta, 1.6 TDCI EcoNetic year late 2009 wth DPF (In winter last year to be precise) and noticed a couple of things.

The engine fan kept spinning when outside were -15 degrees, and I thought what the heck, that's the way it should work. Maybe the engine was overheating a bit (i have no readouts on my dash about temperatures).

Then this march i noticed the intercooler was a bit busted and decided to change it. Once the intercooler was changed for a few weeks the engine fan did not start at all, even on fast driving, then slowly started to spin, more and more. 

Read some forums about what could be the issue and some people sugested a relay issue so I changed it. However from what I see in the relay box (and manual) I'm a bit confused, because they changed R1 (from pictures below) and that points to the cooling system fan not the engine cooling fan. Below are the photos of the relay box and panel. 

Recently the fan started spinning like crazy again! What could be the cause, since after the intercooler change things were better. Maybe the intercooler hoses ?

Thanks for the help !

T

Relee.jpg

Capac Relee.jpg

not a complete answer. do you have aircon on?. i think it is normal for the engine cooling fan to run when the aircon is on.

What's you temperature guage saying (i think you have a LED one up by the mileage), does it go more than halfway up?

My 2015 1.5tdci never goes above half way.   my 2007 1.6tdci (with needle type guage) normally only went one third of way up (slightly higher on rare occasions).

Hello isetta!

The aircon is off.

As I mentioned I don't have any readouts about temperature, not on the information display not anywhere (there I only have the number of miles and trip). 

Other Mk7 owners.  can you confirm that mk7 does not have any temperature guage at all?

I have mk7.5  like in this pic below (just beneath mileage)but was it left out of mk7 cars?

en-ford-fiesta-mk7-hidden-menu.jpg

Hello again!

I know which one you mean, but the only thing currently on that info display is the mileage. Nothing else.

Update on the fan issue. 

A few days ago I went for a drive, and after a few km the engine fan started spinning and though of parking along side the road and stop the engine.

Immediately the fan stopped. If the engine is hot, shouldn't  the fan keep on running even if I stopped the engine ? Also the coolant level is just above minimum.

Thanks !

T

24 minutes ago, TDR|XTC said:

Any ideas?

Did you have the air con on? (If you have air con) also have you checked the pressure cap on the water bottle is holding the pressure. The system is a pressurised system and if the cap is letting pressure out it might be allowing the system to get too hot, bringing the fan on. (I had similar on a trip up the A9 and found I'd forgotten to tighten the cap up!)

It is off!

But yesterday as i was driving along i noticed that even when it's off the air keeps running. Maybe something broken on that heater control panel?

1 minute ago, TDR|XTC said:

It is off!

But yesterday as i was driving along i noticed that even when it's off the air keeps running. Maybe something broken on that heater control panel?

What exactly are you talking about? You said the engine fan, now your saying the air keeps running? Is it the fan at the radiator or are you talking about the blower inside the car?

Hey Russ! Sorry for not being too explicit.

The Aircon is off, when the engine fan is spinning wildly. But also the blower inside the car keeps running (Even when AC is OFF), that's why i suspected the heater blower controls!

Blower Fan will run with aircon off if the fan is not turned to zero. Aircon will run even if turned off if set to demist. 

Hello ThaiFiesta!

That's how they all are, off (fan turned to 0, no demist) !

If anyone has seen the relay panel in the pictures above, how about that R7 relay? Should that be missing?

After doing some digging on the forums, the conclusion for most people with this fan issue is that the relay needs changing! However in the pictures I posted, technically the fan relay is missing somehow. Checked the manual and R7 is supposed to be the "Engine Cooling Fan Relay". I did find on Google some other relay boxes where R1 is the engine fan relay (and that's the one Ford tech guys changed for me).

Any suggestions because I don't know where should I go next with this fan issue. 

Thanks!

T

Pretty sure! 

Sometimes it starts, then stops in like 30 seconds! It's like it has it's own mind!

I did a Forscan DPF cycles check, with 230 started and 145 completed.

Update on the Engine Fan issue!

What I did was replace the antifreeze and the expansion tank! It was just on the min level. The tank was dirty inside, kinda rusty look, drained the fluid (rusty aswell), and things are much better now! It still does run sometimes like crazy but not that often. 

I still don't know about the "Engine Fan Relay" that is missing (pics in first post), what should I do !? Is it ok not being there?

I will also look more into this problem and see what I can do to improve things! Keep you guys up to date!

Thanks

T

• 1 year later...

Hi guys.

I have a problem on my fiesta mk7..

The problem is my fan start kick on 105° first speed and then the 2nd speed will kick on 110°.. i thinks this is not a normal working because 110° my expansion tank bubbling..

The question is 

1. at what temperature should the fan work?

2.is my fan control module damaged?