Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Engine change (how long)

chris26

Hi everyone. 2weeks ago i took my ford focus tddi into my local garage and got told it needed a new engine. I give him the all clear to start work and change the engine. I payed upfront £450 which is very cheap (£300 engine £150 labour). When i went back 1 week later for my car the work still wasn't done the old/new engine's was on the floor next to the car. He told me he had made a mistake with the price and should of cost £800-£850 but he couldnt change the price as i have allready payed. I know parts need taking off my old engine to put on the new one but isn't 2 weeks long enough. It is a cash only garage so he's pretty busy but i see 3-5 car's a day getting worked on and fixed same day.

£450 for a new engine fitted, sounds incredibily cheap. Was that a genuine ford replacement?

£450 for a new engine fitted, sounds incredibily cheap. Was that a genuine ford replacement?

Ill be honest me and my mate have done full engine swaps in a day thats without pro lifts and fancy tools the car should have been done by now unfortunately as he made a mistake he can refund you the money and tell you to get the job done elsewhere i would nicely explain to him that you understand he made a mistake and you understand he is busy buit its been 2 weelks and you need the car back asap at the very least the new engine should be ready to go you do need to talk to him if he gets funny or makes threats tell him youre contacting trading standards and you will get them to deal with it for you.

i did think 150 for an engine change was awfully cheap from a garage calll the guy up and get a date for when the work will be finished

sorry to sound harsh but, is that not a daft question? its not really going to be anything else? It will be a second hand engine from a car thats been broken up for spares at that price.

It should only take a day MAX for someone with all the right equipment/ ramps etc. i reckon an average car DIYer can do it easily in a weekend!

sorry to sound harsh but, is that not a daft question? its not really going to be anything else? It will be a second hand engine from a car thats been broken up for spares at that price.

It should only take a day MAX for someone with all the right equipment/ ramps etc. i reckon an average car DIYer can do it easily in a weekend!

actually eBay sell genuine zetec engines brand new in the crate ready to go for 300 -400 quid though i havent seen a new diesel go for that money they were around 500 quid i would be questioning where the engine came from the mileage etc

yep i'd seen them, wondered if they were real at £500?

yep direct from the factory they have 2litre ones going for 700 right now according to the ford guy i spoke to the engines arent far off the price

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club