Do Not Sell My Personal Information

DPF deleters, your days are numbered

mjt

I feel sympathy with drivers of cars that are pre-compulsory dpf going by the year of manufacture but had them fitted by manufacturers at earlier dates. eg. a 2007 Focus. 

It feels totally wrong to me that owners of cars with a dpf that was made before the dpf was compulsory are not allowed to remove them. Why is that?  those owners did not get any preferential rate of road tax for having a dpf as the dpf is about soot not gases and the tax rates were only based on the gases

This comes out every year, but nothing ever actually happens...  I would think brexit negotiations are of higher importance currently.

Isn't there enough sport for 5live to cover? :rolleyes:

5 hours ago, mjt said:

Your really itching for them to do something on this arnt you? lol

Thankfully that article means precisely Sweet Bugger all (again).  Even if they did change MOT guides, which they haven't done or have even planned to do.  Testing if a DPF is actually present and working is going to be a bugger of a test without dismantling the car

What they going to do, connect up a computer / device up to an OBD port to test some PIDs? I can think of half a dozen reasons that will go down like a lead balloon, not work, or cause more hassle then good

Emissions test? Testers will love that, nothing like buying new gear to slow down a party.

4 hours ago, isetta said:

I feel sympathy with drivers of cars that are pre-compulsory dpf going by the year of manufacture but had them fitted by manufacturers at earlier dates. eg. a 2007 Focus. 

It feels totally wrong to me that owners of cars with a dpf that was made before the dpf was compulsory are not allowed to remove them. Why is that?  those owners did not get any preferential rate of road tax for having a dpf as the dpf is about soot not gases and the tax rates were only based on the gases

I suspect the Guides, if they ever come to be, will be based on the EuroV Diesel engines which had DPFs, the Euro IV had an optional DPF.  I wonder if its possible to get your car recertified as an engine without a DPF. you can change a Petrol engine and the test is then based on whichever is older, engine or car. which i think is pretty cool but not very practical with a TDCI diesel! 

There must be a way of getting cars re certified. 

4 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

This comes out every year, but nothing ever actually happens...  I would think brexit negotiations are of higher importance currently.

Isn't there enough sport for 5live to cover? :rolleyes:

Oh now that's an  interesting point , perhaps we can ditch all these stupid guidelines that are designed to make some self important rich folk who never have to pay a penny to fix a car think they are saving the polar bears.

Get your cars sorted properly you dirty buggers 😷😷😷😷

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, wilto said:

Get your cars sorted properly you dirty buggers 😷😷😷😷

Typical petrol owner reply... :tongue:   As if petrols aren't dumping other emissions. :rolleyes: 

The reality is, people buy older diesels because they're poor or tight...or both for some of us!   Old DPFs (additive type) are unreliable and most will be broken now.  This leaves the owners with an impossible decision when they do fail.  I don't think anyone choses to over-pollute the environment.  You have the 'choice' of replacing the DPF at several hundred quid which most people don't have laying about, and isn't economically viable when the car is now worth very little.  Selling the car for near nothing to buy another - but not able to afford to run a petrol, and can't afford a newer diesel with a better cDPF, so end up in the same place.  Or finally, spending less than half the cost of a new DPF on removal and remap, keeping your diesel that you can afford to run and keeping some value in the car when you come to sell...  I don't agree with DPF removal and don't recommend it, but I also don't see who is being helped by forcing some private diesel owners off the road or into cars they just can't afford to run to get to work, take the kids to school or care for elderly relatives...reality is it won't even touch the average particulate level in the UK when most of it comes from commercial vehicles and processes.

II would argue EGR delete is more harmful in the long run than DPF delete, applying to both diesels and petrols and increasing the amount of NOx that's emitted but people don't seem bothered by that...modern direct injection petrols produce a tonne of NOx while cruising at light throttle...  

• Like 2

owners of ALL fossil fuelled combustion engined cars , your days are numbered..........

;-D

56 minutes ago, biff55 said:

owners of ALL fossil fuelled combustion engined cars , your days are numbered..........

;-D

Not until 2040 though...  And that's only for new ones, and you will still be able to buy a car with an internal combustion engine, just need an electric motor stuck on it as well. :wink:  

Then everyone can moan about the number of pedestrian impacts from silent cars in towns and villages instead of the pollution. :laugh: 

A lot can happen in 20 years though, I doubt we'll still want unrefined, dirty, noisy, smelly IC engines in private daily cars by then, electric car tech will have improved considerably in that time...  In 1997, did you ever think everyone would be after 1 litre, 3 cylinder petrol turbos by now...?

IMHO the main practical hinderance to widespread adoption of electric vehicles is battery tech.

As and when battery tech takes a quantum leap forward in terms of both energy density and charge times, electric cars will look a whole lot more appealing (purely from a practical standpoint).  Cost is the other obvious issue but that's already coming down as newer generations of electric vehicle are released.

(Note...I'm no tree hugger and have no intention of giving up my "tank" (1.8 TDCi) any time soon!)

• Like 1

other issue is electricity generation for all these electric cars.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, iantt said:

other issue is electricity generation for all these electric cars.

Too right, a couple of winter's ago we (the UK) were less than 1% from the lights temporarily going out!

• Like 1

Too right, a couple of winter's ago we (the UK) were less than 1% from the lights temporarily going out!

and major businesses are on standby to limit there consumption at peak electricity consumption periods

Indeed, ive not heard a sensible solution to the problem of power generation, there is a serious hole in the argument...

Chargers are typically between 7 and 22KWh per car

30 million cars on UK roads

lets say half of them aren't used

15 Million

and lets say half of them don't bother charging their car at night

7.5 Million

and lets say half of them are powered by Hamster wheels

3.75 Million cars

lets round it down to 3 Million cars being charged each night

3 Million cars each sucking up between 7KW and 22KW per hour

21,000,000 KW or 21,000 MW to 66,000,000 or 66,000 MW

Sizewell B ~2000 MW per hour

Now ive been fairly conservative, So just To power a tiny fraction of the cars on the road will require AT LEAST between 10 and 33 New Sizewell B Nuclear power stations. 

(If ive got that wrong then feel free to correct me but you lose points if you start talking about Windfarms!)

• Like 1

surely solar power will the answer to electricity needed at night to charge all these electric cars? lol

• Like 1

It's 20 years away...there'll be loads more renewable energy by then.  They're currently building huge wind farms and solar panels are popping up everywhere.  Large potential for wave power as well.

I even saw a solar panel car port on the news last week...bit expensive for some of us atm but say they fitted them at work or supermarket carparks, would be ideal!  It would take 3 hours to fully charge the battery on a sunny day...for free though!

battery tech will improve by then as well...remember the size of mobile phone and laptop batteries just a few years ago...  

You lot should be more optimistic! :tongue:

21 minutes ago, 1979Damian said:

First I've heard that. I work in a place that a couple of years ago our electricity bill was somewhere around £400k a month. There is a local papermill recently closed its doors, they were using £1m a month! they built a bio mass plant to save them that million quid a month but it was too little too late and the place went bust. So thats however many kwh's a million quid gets plus another million quids worth free to hit the grid lol

8 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Then everyone can moan about the number of pedestrian impacts from silent cars in towns and villages instead of the pollution. :laugh: 

I think the United States are making it the law that electric vehicles have to emit a sound :laugh:

And let's not forget how clean energy generation is. Totally makes all these battery powered cars, with minerals and chemicals dug up and shipped from all over the world in them, worthwhile.

Coal...

coal-fired-power-plant-1.jpg

Nuclear waste can only be stored in giant underground boxes...

Thorpstorage.jpg

• Like 2

It's 20 years away...there'll be loads more renewable energy by then.  They're currently building huge wind farms and solar panels are popping up everywhere.  Large potential for wave power as well.
I even saw a solar panel car port on the news last week...bit expensive for some of us atm but say they fitted them at work or supermarket carparks, would be ideal!  It would take 3 hours to fully charge the battery on a sunny day...for free though!
Battery tech will improve by then as well...remember the size of mobile phone and laptop batteries just a few years ago...  
You lot should be more optimistic! :tongue:

and you get sunny days??
  • Haha 1

All of the UKs windpower accounts for about 15,000 MW,  we would need to more than double the number of farms just to power a mere 10% of the traffic on the road.  Wind is also pretty crap in the evening when folk charge cars so we would need to store that power somehow, the most effective way of doing that is Pumped Storage, all the pumped storage in Scotland accounts for about 900MW....

it isn't feasible, lets forget it and just do what we should have done a decade ago, Hydrogen! 

• Like 1

All of the UKs windpower accounts for about 15,000 MW,  we would need to more than double the number of farms just to power a mere 10% of the traffic on the road.  Wind is also pretty crap in the evening when folk charge cars so we would need to store that power somehow, the most effective way of doing that is Pumped Storage, all the pumped storage in Scotland accounts for about 900MW....

it isn't feasible, lets forget it and just do what we should have done a decade ago, Hydrogen! 

hydrogen bomb? thats a bit extreme. but i supose it would work if you targeted highly populated countries . that would reduce the people driving cars. lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, iantt said:

hydrogen bomb? thats a bit extreme. but i supose it would work if you targeted hightly populated countrys. that would reduce the people driving cars. lol

I think your on to something there, how about we just take out Wales and fill it with water. Pumped storage problem - solved! :) 

• Haha 1

I think your on to something there, how about we just take out Wales and fill it with water. Pumped storage problem - solved! :) 

i would have started a bit more small scale trial first, how about suffolk. nothing there of any importance@TomsFocus

lol

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Can we test that concept on North Korea? [emoji848]

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• Like 2

no need for a "h" bomb in scotland. the natives have turned it into a waste land already

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club