Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Coolant cap split in two mk7.5

Dunky

Can anyone help was trying to remove my coolant cap and the thing split apart with the Centre part still in the tank. I'm not sure what to do or even if I could use the car. The car is just out of warranty. 

IMG_20180211_111907876_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180211_111900256_HDR.jpg

You can still drive the car if you screw the top of the cap back on for now.

The fix will be to pull the inner part out with a screwdriver or knife and fit a new cap, they only cost a few quid at dealers.

Thanks Tomsfocus. Going into panic mode. Have phoned Ford roadside assistance 

if it still under warranty ford will cover the repair or at least they did with me 

My wifes 64 Reg Fiesta did the same it was covered under warranty they removed the inner cap with long nose pliers. The cost of the cap is about £13 

Thanks guys. Using the Ford roadside assistance they are going to bring me a cap tomorrow hopefully. No labour charge just the cost of the cap. I don't want to risk driving it to the dealership.

Seems like a common things as happened on my wife's 1.0ltr ecoboost too

After posting this I didn't expect so many people to have the same problem. Still I ended up having to take it to the dealership and it cost me £65. :O

Oh dear, sorry to say bought one off eBay for a tenner and pulled out the old one with long nose pliars

4 hours ago, bananacat said:

Seems like a common things as happened on my wife's 1.0ltr ecoboost too

It's not a new problem...happened on my 2008 Fiesta ST as well lol.  

£65 though OP?  :unsure:  You really could have fixed that yourself tbh. :sad: 

I know I overpaid but I was in panic mode especially with the Ecoboost coolant. It says on the cash receipt drilled and removed old coolant cap and replaced. £42 labour charge :ohmy:

Hi if the car is still under the 3 year Ford warranty and your service is up to date and the car was registered after September 1st 2014 the coolant cap and labour charge is covered under warranty. 

My warranty ended on the 4th of December 2017 (64 plate)  but I have full Ford service history. If that does mean they would cover the cost who do I contact?

Its extremely easy to fix yourself if they won't

• 1 year later...
On 2/15/2018 at 6:27 AM, bananacat said:

Oh dear, sorry to say bought one off ebay for a tenner and pulled out the old one with long nose pliars

Having the same problem with mine. Is it really as easy to pull it out? Or does it unscrew? Don't wanna risk breaking anything 

Pull it out. All that holds it in is a rubber o ring . When I say all that holds it in , I mean it does, but boy it can be stuck in tight. If your lucky a pair of long nose pliers. If not, I drill the centre out with a 3 mm drill bit, flick the centre bits out, then screw a big bolt in the centre. This gives plenty to grip on to and pull out. Works every time. I've done quite a few. 

Perfect. Thanks for the advise. Have just been outside and managed to pull the little git straight out with a pair of long nose pliers as you say 👍. Can't believe how tight it was but so happy to of got it sorted. Thanks again 👍

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/6/2019 at 8:49 AM, Mark England said:

Perfect. Thanks for the advise. Have just been outside and managed to pull the little git straight out with a pair of long nose pliers as you say 👍. Can't believe how tight it was but so happy to of got it sorted. Thanks again 👍

Sorry only just seen this, glad you got it sorted