Do Not Sell My Personal Information

AC Condenser Top Hose Quick Access

TomsFocus

I've really cocked up here...

Had AC regas two weeks ago, they wouldn't  fill it as it didn't pass the vac test.

Fitted new condenser on Thursday, partly in a rush in the dark.

Had the system regassed today by the same place - only took half an hour which seemed quick but now thinking about it I guess they didn't vac test it this time.

All the gas had fallen out within the hour.

I can see a load of flourescent dye on the left hand side of the rad pack, pretty sure it's coming from the top hose, either I left it loose or damaged it maybe.  Is there any quick way to access the top hose connection to check though?  I don't want to be on the floor removing both undertrays and the rad support just to get to something that is inches below the grill.  Can I get there through any of the grills?  Or I'd even remove the bumper if that's easy enough without having to jack up.

If I can fix it early tomorrow morning do you reckon the garage would give me a discount on another regas?  If the pipe is loose obviously that's my fault but I did expect them to test it again before filling. :unsure:

The answer is yes, you can get there through the bumper.  It's easy to remove as well, though would have been easier to refit with 2 people.  Top and bottom grill duct and intercooler duct also needed to come off.  

IMG_20180220_104049339_HDR.thumb.jpg.401532b9ecd796e84c588b4ac8e0e4e2.jpg

I'm such an idiot

IMG_20180220_104445829_HDR.thumb.jpg.03fbf1cfd8463089f9eb1e9cdc3b9e3b.jpg

IMG_20180220_103601156.thumb.jpg.212c14cc054dd886a41c4f03f1252e5a.jpg

Reseated it now so hopefully that'll be alright, but found this on the lower pipe, do you reckon that's a small leak as well?  :sad:

IMG_20180220_104501671.thumb.jpg.d169fce78978397e6f3e4f23b685cb80.jpg

Hi Tom sorry to hear about your problems mate. When I refill an ac system mate first thing I do is test the ac compressor with compressed air. (This test makes sure the clutch.  pressure switch etc are ok)

Next I pull a vacuum close all Manifold gauge values for at least 30 minutes. 

If the system holds vacuum ok I continue to evacuate the system for at least 30 minutes. 

If it doesn't hold vacuum then I'll change the system with compressed air again and use some soapy water to find the leak. 

As for filling the focus takes 530g and takes about 1min to fill. 

Yours sincerely Steve Evans 

• Thanks 1

Hi Steve, thanks for that, very helpful. :smile:

I'll be honest, you're gonna hate this lol...I used a Halfords can this morning and it's still working currently.  Have used them before so still had the trigger attachment.  If it doesn't last I'll try replacing that lower pipe (last pic in post above) as there don't appear to be any other possible leaks that I can see.  The garage did pressure test it the first time (well, they said they did) but without removing the undertrays or bumper so couldn't find the leak.  

Yep mate I've used the Halfords gas as well mate. Ps mate it was the heater control panel. Thanks for all your help mate much appreciated Steve 

• Like 1

Well, it's still working today and still at the same pressure on the guage as well.

Not sure it's accurate enough to show tiny leaks but I'll keep an eye on it over the next few weeks and see how it goes.

Spoke too soon...  Enough gas been lost to stop the compressor again now. :sad: 

I have ordered that lower pipe to fit at some point, though probably not next week with the snow forecast lol.  I know I'll have to get it sucked off if there's still any pressure in the system time I get round to fitting it.

Still haven't heard the fan though, and couldn't see a fan test on FORScan, is there a simple way to test that it does work?  Pulling a temp sensor for example?

• 2 weeks later...

Update...

Pulling the coolant temp sensor plug does fool the PCM into running the fan and opening the grill shutters.  Oddly it also showed outside temp as -30 which I wasn't expecting.  So yeah, the fan does work... :biggrin:

I have replaced the lower pipe today and refilled the system.  Will see if that's fixed it but I'm fairly sure there was a leak on this pipe.  You can see it's 'damp' around the join there.  I thought the clamp was separate from the pipe and would have a seal, but now it's removed it's all one piece so not really sure how it is inside, pressed together maybe?  No idea.  Anyway we'll see if that lasts any longer, it's working fine currently.

IMG_20180306_100930650.thumb.jpg.8f0c2d821a69035a9dff39100d22b2aa.jpg

IMG_20180306_100922565.thumb.jpg.5cdd5ca2c2fc0293c9345477a6dab03c.jpg

• 1 month later...

So, in the Saharan temps we've had today, the AC has stopped again, gas leaked again. :sad:

Really don't know how to find the next leak, it's obviously small enough not to be seen with dye.  What would a garage do to find it?

Most garages would do the same as you've done, using U.V to look for the dye, I think some places fill the system with CO2 and listen for a leak.

15 hours ago, kingsblue said:

Most garages would do the same as you've done, using U.V to look for the dye, I think some places fill the system with CO2 and listen for a leak.

Good point, it has been filled with Nitrogen for a leak check as well and no luck there either.  I know most people aren't bothered by AC but I hate the heat and rely on it in the summer so want it fixed really.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club