Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fusion 2 1.4TDCi - black smoke

AyArrr

Hi all, 

I recently acquired a Fusion 2 1.4TDCi, 2003 with 75k on the clock. It has service history to 55k, loads of receipts etc for work carried out. It recently (just before I bought it) had its injector seals replaced. 

However, I've noticed very noticeable black smoke pouring out upon acceleration and I topped up the fuel and I've done 200 miles so far and it's already at the half way marker so possibly poor fuel economy. I've done some research and my first port of call is going to be blanking the EGR valve to see if that helps reduce the smoke. Is there anything else I should be looking at immediately before handing it over to my mechanic? I'm a novice at car repair and most of what I know is from Google/YouTube/Haynes etc. 

Thanks in advance. 

Do not blank the EGR.  Up to 40,000 people die each year in the UK from causes related to diesel pollution.  If the EGR is faulty - and the symptoms don't really indicate that - then clean or replace it.

But if blanking it fixes it, then my diagnosis of a faulty EGR will be right and I can get a new one. I wouldn't be blanking it for good, it'd be for diagnosis purposes only before dropping almost £100 on a replacement EGR. 

The blanking with trip the car into safe mode without further mods or twiddling.  You're not going to be able to tell much driving around at 10mph.

The symptoms are not typical of EGR failure.

Excerpt from a site regarding EGR failure symptoms below. 

I forgot to mention in the OP that the car is hesitant around 1600-2200rpm and I'm not sure if it's normal for the car to be as slow as it is as I'd never driven a 1.4tdci Ford before now. 

I looked under the bonnet last night in restricted light but the air filter which was replaced when the injector seals were done is filthy already and 'soot' can be seen in a few places under the bonnet. 

As I said in the OP, I am a novice at these things but I'm trying my best to learn what I can before I chuck a load of money into it without trying to solve what could be a simple issue myself first. 

When the engine is cruising, the EGR valve is supposed to open to allow the carbon dioxide in the exhaust to cool the combustion chamber. However, if the EGR valve jams open, exhaust fumes are being fed into the engine at all times. This can mean poor acceleration and rough running, because the excess exhaust fumes are depriving the engine of oxygen. Because there is insufficient oxygen, there’s too much fuel, so the unburnt fuel starts spewing out of the exhaust as black smoke, especially when the engine is at idle. Fuel consumption is likely to rise substantially.

• 3 months later...

Any luck on this issue? EGR or lack of boost pressure or fuel pressure could cause these.