Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MK2 focus (05) red hot dash

2010powen

Hi all, finally took my 2005 1.6 ti-vct for a decent run ( 1st time in my ownership ) bout hour down the motorway. After a while I noticed it was getting really toastie in my footwell so I turned my heat down. A while later I noticed it was still really really toastie! So started feeling about and all the plastic around the drivers footwell, the bottom of the steering, even my keys were really warm. Now I've messed around with cars all my life but this is a first for me!!

I've had a quick look on the net an it seems I am not the only none who has had this but every post I've looked at has not gave me a deafo cause of the issue. 

Has anybody had and cured this?

The heaters work great and temp needle sits just off center as I had the thermostat replaced when I bought it. Can't say however if it will blow cold air but I am going to take it on a run tomorrow and see.

I also had the cam belt an auxiliary belts replaced last week.

Did check behind the dash and the 2 metal pipes that go into the matrix were red hot. Not sure if that's normal or not???

Any help would be great thanks.

Little update. Took focus on a decent run this morning. This time with temp set on coldest. Heaters working perfectly, nice an cold and ice cold with air con on. 

Still really hot in the drivers footwell tho, like the bolts that hold the plastic will burn  my fingers hot!!! 

There seems to be 4 pipes that come from the engine compartment (2 metal 2 rubber) both metal are red hot ( I always fought 1should be cool ) and the rubbers are cold ( I think these go to the air con ) 

I was thinking maybe the heater control valve but I would expect to have heater issues if it was that???

Both heater matrix pipes will always be hot, coolant runs through there permanently regardless of the cabin temp setting, it's just that a flap is moved to divert air through the matrix for hot air, or around it for cool air.  One pipe should be a little colder if you've got the temp on hot and blowers on full but still won't be a huge difference.  

• Like 1

Thanks well that clears that up for me, still leaves me puzzled as to why it's so warm in my footwell, for instance I've just been out in it wearing shorts and it burnt my leg when it touched it.

The heat does seem to be coming from the 2 metal pipes, I am wondering should there be some kind heat shield??  I know the matrix had been replaced in the past, could something have been left off maybe??

2 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Both heater matrix pipes will always be hot, coolant runs through there permanently regardless of the cabin temp setting, it's just that a flap is moved to divert air through the matrix for hot air, or around it for cool air.  One pipe should be a little colder if you've got the temp on hot and blowers on full but still won't be a huge difference.  

If the various bits of venting/cowling within the centre console weren't connected back up properly when the heater matrix was replaced or the box that the heater matrix sits is was damaged/butchered when they swapped the matrix, the heat to so high that even a small hole/gap while contribute significantly to foot well temps once the engine is nice and hot.

As previously mentioned, the heater matrix is connected directly into the cooling system so even with the fans/temp on cold the heater matrix itself will still be full of engine temperature coolant.

It's normal for the aluminium pipes themselves to be exposed (about 6" ish) where they run up to bulk head, although they get hot they don't usually contribute much to cabin/foot well temperatures.  I'd be pulling the foot well trims out and the bottom part of the centre console if necessary to check nothing has been butchered or not connected up fully.

• 2 weeks later...

Got a Focus Titanium TDCI Saloon and have the exact same issue mate.

Even on journey around 20-30 mins long it will get extremely hot in the foot well, any solutions?

• 2 months later...

Hi, was a reason or solution found for this issue. My mk2 2005 gets extremely hot air circulating around my legs when driving even with aircon on.  Really really starting to p me off. New matrix fitted 6 months ago.

• 2 months later...

Hi 1979 Damian got it spot on. The cowel around bottom of matrix had been damaged when refitted. Thus letting all the hot air escape 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club