Do Not Sell My Personal Information

12v cigarette lighter question

jeebowhite

How many devices can you "safely" plug into your 12v cigarette lighter. I have got two lots of 12v extension/adapters, each have 3 ports. I am wondering If I can safely plug in these 2 adapters (producing 5 additional outlets)?

The reason is because I try to fit them into the car so that any wires I regularly use are hidden out of sight, and I want to know if I can do this safely.

I know I probably / most likely cant use all devices at any one point.

the contents of these connections will be (for now anyway)

1x SatNav cable

1x Mobile Phone Charger

1x FM transmitter power cable

1x Nintendo DS power cable

Thanks

J

"1x FM transmitter power cable"

whats that for?!?

Better idea would be to buy a 12v plug and wiring from somewhere like maplins and they wire in another one straight from a 12v source or battery...pushing it with 4 really, surprised fuse not gone!!

like this

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=1055

fe42v.jpg

you will need an inline fuse of course.

or have you thought about an inverter??

:)

How many devices can you "safely" plug into your 12v cigarette lighter. I have got two lots of 12v extension/adapters, each have 3 ports. I am wondering If I can safely plug in these 2 adapters (producing 5 additional outlets)?

The reason is because I try to fit them into the car so that any wires I regularly use are hidden out of sight, and I want to know if I can do this safely.

I know I probably / most likely cant use all devices at any one point.

the contents of these connections will be (for now anyway)

1x SatNav cable

1x Mobile Phone Charger

1x FM transmitter power cable

1x Nintendo DS power cable

Thanks

J

As you don't have a kettle on your list and assuming that you have a decent sized fuse fitted I don't see any problems there.

just starting to ask for problems with heat and possible fires...seen it happen, glowing away, ready for something combustable to come along!!

How are you connecting the four again?? Do you have a special design 1 into 4 connector??

too many possibilities. well the "fm transmitter" is this one http://www.amazon.co.uk/Belkin-Tunecast-Ad...d/dp/B000F37GOU

and after a very big re-think I was thinking to be running it like this...

Cars 12v

L extension of 3

L extension of 3

But as you say there is too much risk of overheating and overglowing.

At the moment, I have it set out so I have just one extension of 3 coming out, so It can support it, and I only plug that one in as and when its needed, and it only has two of the three sockets used.

I have to be honest i am not confident about adding my own extra socket in by wiring it.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club