Photo

Guide To Installing The Ford Usb Music Box

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#16 TDCiST

TDCiST

No Smoke No Poke... Unless you have a DPF!

• 1,681 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Ford Model: Ford Focus Zetec S 1.6 TDCi
  • Year: 2010
Contributor

Posted 21 January 2012 - 01:07 AM

From what I could find the 02 and 03 were for different cars, not upgrades... I believe the 02 is for the new fiesta and new focus for example...

Yeah I'll get it installed and try do a fairly well organised playlist.. Advantage being I can select all the music I like! And once I've learnt the order it'll be easy!

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#17 TDCiST

TDCiST

• 1,681 posts
Contributor

Posted 27 January 2012 - 07:26 PM

Installed...

Working, Plays all sorts of music, and I must say, I'm pleasantly surprised!

So far its played, MP3's, MP4's and WAV's can't comment on any other files as yet!

The hardest bit about the installation for me was finding a place to stuff the harness adaptor behind the radio, as there is little room... First couple of tries resulted in the fascia being slightly too far to the right, and fouling the hazard light switch, but its all fixed now!

#18 TDCiST

TDCiST

• 1,681 posts
Contributor

Posted 28 January 2012 - 03:05 PM

Ok.. Have a bit more time to explain now..

Pictures will follow!

Started by removing the trim around the radio, starting at the bottom. It takes a bit of a firm tug to get it off!

Once this is out my radio is simply removed by 4 screws! I see ford don't worry about security with standard head units lol!

Once the head unit was out I removed the glove box. I kept the tray handy as instead of putting the cable in the centre console, I want it in my glovebox.

With the headunit out, I removed the connector block, and quite simply... Put the split lead in... Then I ran the music box lead through to the glovebox area, clearly the newer wiring harnesses are a lot shorter, I had to cable tie my music box to the metal support of the airbag.

With this is place I plugged in the harness and the USB lead.

At this point I tested it all worked... Nothing worse than putting everything back and finding it doesn't!!

Once I had enjoyed some high quality mp3's it was time to put it back properly.

I now drilled a hole in the back of my glove box tray, an cut it square with a scalpel. I pushed the USB connector through, and put the tray in place. It all fitted great!

Now for the bit that took an hour to sort!!!

There is... What can only be described as... sod all space behind the headunit! I struggled to find a decent place to put the extra connector block and cable, eventually I managed to squeeze it into the top right hand corner near the clocks... It was tight!

I put the headunit back in, cover back in place, and then found the hazard light button would then Stick in... So the fascia off, radio came out, and back in, fascia on.... Then fascia off, back out, and back in fascia on..... And so on an so on about another 4 times... Until eventually I got the radio and harness and fascia all in the right place... (seriously brain surgery would have been easier!!!)

I now enjoy some great tunes, on a 16gb memory stick, PC World, 18.99! Bargain!

Works a treat, I'm well happy with it!!

#19 David Harrison

David Harrison

• Members via FB
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Posted 14 May 2012 - 12:24 PM

Hi there,

Firstly sorry for dragging an old(ish) post up.

Just read through this with interest, and remembered that I'd seen a flush fitting USB socket on eBay, this one.... http://www.ebay.co.u...=item4ab6cd04bf

The socket is available in black or silver (just check his store page) and, as shown in the photos, sits flush next to the rear screen de-mister button.

Now I know it is mini USB on the inside but that can be overcome by an adaptor, something like this.... http://www.ebay.co.u...=item2eb96b0680

I thought someone who reads this thread might find this usefull.

Best regards,

Dave

BTW - I have no affiliation with either of the eBay sellers on the links above :)

#20 Richiemac

Richiemac

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • Name: Richard
  • Ford Model: Focus 2014 1.6 tdci + S max 2011
  • Year: 2014

Posted 14 May 2012 - 12:49 PM

Do the MP3 tags appear on the Sony head unit display ?

#21 Petar

Petar

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Name: Petar
  • Ford Model: Focus MKII Futura Wagon
  • Year: 2005
Contributor

Posted 14 May 2012 - 02:52 PM

Nope, they don't (although this is yet to bother me :) ). Toward the end of the guide (1st page):

"Another thing they could have done is make it read the MP3 tags and display them on the radio screen (ie. name of song, artist, etc.). That doesn't bother me much, however, since I usually hit play, enjoy the music and drive. Also, I know all the songs I have in my library... But still, for that price they could have tried harder."

#22 Richiemac

Richiemac

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • Name: Richard
  • Ford Model: Focus 2014 1.6 tdci + S max 2011
  • Year: 2014

Posted 16 May 2012 - 10:51 AM

Its a pity that really, would have gone for one if it did. Maybe Ford will add the feature in the future.

#23 talksy

talksy

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • Ford Model: Focus Zetec 1.8 TDCI 2009
  • Year: 2009

Posted 05 December 2012 - 03:37 PM

Hi, a quick question on this.. I am keen and thinking of getting one...
Does the ford radio need keys for removal? I know the plastic trim needs to come off (radio cover). But does the head unit in the images need those slim metal keys for it to be released?

Thanks

#24 Stoney871

Stoney871

Resident Peacekeeper

• Super Mod
  • 15,265 posts
  • Name: Clive
  • Ford Model: Focus mk2 1.8 TDCI Sport
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 05 December 2012 - 06:36 PM

On your car you just unclip the radio fascia and the radio is held in with 4 screws.

#25 talksy

talksy

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • Ford Model: Focus Zetec 1.8 TDCI 2009
  • Year: 2009

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:09 PM

On your car you just unclip the radio fascia and the radio is held in with 4 screws.

Oh that is much better. THanks for your post!
I am in a quandry as to whether I should get this little box or replace the entire head unit. The ford unit is fine for me, just a pain regarding playing mp3s etc. Seems a little extravagant to go and replace the head unit just so I can play a few Mp3s, althou some of the head units people have suggested on this forum look very snazzy and do all sorts of extra things, but then I would need a new radio cover to go on the dash for it to fit into.

#26 TDCiST

TDCiST

• 1,681 posts
Contributor

Posted 08 December 2012 - 05:17 PM

i had a new headunit in my old car, but didnt want to spoil the look of the interior this time!!

I love this unit, i have a 16gb memory stick that i update every couple of months...

#27 Dal.

Dal.

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • Ford Model: Focus ST225

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:11 PM

Installed my USB music box today - all worked well except the steering column buttons did bugger all and wouldn't change tracks :( Sending it back for a replacement as the steering column controls work for everything else bar that.

#28 TDCiST

TDCiST

• 1,681 posts
Contributor

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:39 PM

how odd... hopefully a new box is all you need!

#29 Sticky45

Sticky45

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Ford Model: focus

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:20 PM

Thread revival time. Having been disappointed by the hu in the 57 plate mondeo I have recently purchased I am considering the options of second hand better equipped ford stereo. New hu altogether or one of these units. Like others on here I don't really want to change the look of the dash and I worry that a second hand hu could come with its own issues so this unit is most favourable. Is it true though that it will not work with ipods etc. Just wanted to know so I can get a memory stick lined up.

#30 TDCiST

TDCiST

• 1,681 posts
Contributor

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:18 PM

It doesn't work with my iPhone, but the headphone jack still works so I can use this aswell, you just have to unplug the USB stick to use the jack..

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users