• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • Name: Craig
  • Ford Model: Mk3 Mondeo Ghia, 2.0l
  • Year: 2006

Posted 28 November 2012 - 03:04 PM

Wow, this has been an interesting read.

I pick up my new car on Saturday (MK 2.5 focus zetec "sport") which doesn't have cruise control, but it is a gadget I miss from my BMW. In fact, it is the only thing about my BMW I miss!

I will check the pedals for these switches on Saturday. Is there anybody in the Lincolnshire area who would be happy to do the swap for me if I supplied the parts? I'm a bit funny about working with the air bag areas of my own cars - I know disconnecting the -ve on the battery is enough, but still.

Before I forget; good work to the original poster for either finding this or working it out and posting it.

#198 FekuFord

FekuFord

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Ford Model: Kuga Titanium X
Posted 01 December 2012 - 01:29 PM

So it would appear that the GEM module is in the fusebox.

It's likely that there is a simple connection (possibly only a fuse) required to activate cc on a car with a C gem instead of a D gem module after activating in the pcm, display and gem on ids.

To take this forward it would be really helpful if someone with a D gem fusebox would post a good photo of their fuses to compare with my C fusebox.

Thanks.

#199 o5ky

o5ky

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Ford Model: Focus ST
Posted 05 December 2012 - 03:34 PM

Can you please advise if it would be possible to make my own cruise control switch to save taking apart the steering wheel and just splice the cable as it comes down the steering arm? if so which cable is it / which cables do what?

Thanks

#200 cragger89

cragger89

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 10:19 AM

I too am tempted to go the route of making my own switch instead of changing the steering wheel. All I would want is the button to turn the system on or off, so a single push button stuck to the back of the hifi remote control would be perfect in this case.

Still haven't looked to see if I have the right bits on the car to make it possible yet.

#201 Pidu

Pidu

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • Name: Peter
  • Ford Model: Focus Titanium 2.0 AT
Contributor

Posted 10 December 2012 - 06:23 PM

All I would want is the button to turn the system on or off, so a single push button stuck to the back of the hifi remote control would be perfect in this case.

There is such solution described on Russian Focus forum, requires some work with electrics to make buttons work but it was already done and working so can be done again.

Posted Image

Link: http://ffclub.ru/top.../#entry10626295

On the other hand fitting steering wheel with CC is not a problem and interior still looks genuine. Your choice.

#202 cragger89

cragger89

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 05:52 PM

Very true, it was this particular post which put the idea in my mind. Adding a single push button would be much cheaper than buying a new steering wheel and airbag cover.

Thankfully, the car is so comfortable even on a long run that I am not finding myself lusting for CC yet, so will wait a bit longer before pulling the trigger.

#203 Pidu

Pidu

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • Name: Peter
  • Ford Model: Focus Titanium 2.0 AT
Contributor

Posted 15 December 2012 - 11:15 PM

Thankfully, the car is so comfortable even on a long run that I am not finding myself lusting for CC yet, so will wait a bit longer before pulling the trigger.

I guess it all depends on distances. On 100-200 miles journey I'm fine, but when doing 500-1000 miles one way I simply like to turn on CC and enjoy. Max speed in this case is not that important for me, prefer good steady speed all the way as long as conditions / traffic allow. For me CC was the best mod and I'm still happy with it.

#204 Brigante

Brigante

Resident Ranter

• FOC Supporters
  • 2,408 posts
  • Name: Charlie
  • Ford Model: Focus Ghia 1.6 115BHP
  • Year: 2005
Contributor

Posted 16 December 2012 - 03:00 AM

I must say I do like having cruise control for any motorway really.

It's nice to just set the CC to 70, put on some decent tunes just relax. Makes for a really pleasent drive.

#205 MrTee

MrTee

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Ford Model: Focus 1.6 Zetec TDCi Estate

Posted 16 December 2012 - 06:11 PM

I've a a GEM ending in CE, on my 1.6 Zetec TDCi Estate.
This is likely to work? Are there are links for Cx GEMs?

Thanks
PhilT

#206 Richiemac

Richiemac

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • Name: Richard
  • Ford Model: Focus 2014 1.6 tdci + S max 2007
  • Year: 2014

Posted 16 December 2012 - 09:58 PM

Try it before you buy anything.....mine ends BB in 2008 Focus and it worked...........

#207 MrTee

MrTee

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Ford Model: Focus 1.6 Zetec TDCi Estate

Posted 16 December 2012 - 10:46 PM

Try it before you buy anything.....mine ends BB in 2008 Focus and it worked...........

Thanks, but what can I do to try it?
I've only got the 3-spoke wheel.

Or am I missing something obvious?

#208 cragger89

cragger89

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 04:47 PM

If someone butchered a 4 spoke steering wheel and had the buttons left over, would I be able to plug them in to my car without changing the wheel at all? I understand they will not fit to the wheel properly, but I would be able to find someone to make up a mounting bracket so they can just clip to the steering column.

Don't want to risk buying them and find they HAVE to plug into a socket which is only on the 4 spoke wheel. I would normally just dive in and try it, but would rather ask you experts first.

#209 FekuFord

FekuFord

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Ford Model: Kuga Titanium X
Posted 28 December 2012 - 03:09 PM

My gem is a cc running version 10 software and cruise doesn't work.

Anyone with cruise working know what version software they have?

Is it possible to flash the software in the gem?

Would save having to buy a new module.

Thanks.

FuF.

#210 mcp

mcp

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Name: Marc
  • Ford Model: Focus II 1.6 TDCI Zetec (climate)

Posted 19 January 2013 - 01:03 PM

I've just tried this on my 2006 focus zetec with GEM code ending in BH and it didnt work. I connected the steering wheel and using the beep test where you hold down heated rear windscreen button while turing ignition on and the cruise control buttons worked. I then enabled "cruise control configuration" using ELMconfig in the HEC and GEM but no luck. Have I missed anything out?
For people who have got it to work when you turn the ignition on does the cruise control light come on? If it does, an easy way to test to see if your car supports it could be to try enabling it using ELMconfig and if it illuminates your car supports it.

If someone butchered a 4 spoke steering wheel and had the buttons left over, would I be able to plug them in to my car without changing the wheel at all? I understand they will not fit to the wheel properly, but I would be able to find someone to make up a mounting bracket so they can just clip to the steering column.

Don't want to risk buying them and find they HAVE to plug into a socket which is only on the 4 spoke wheel. I would normally just dive in and try it, but would rather ask you experts first.

The connectors are the same just with a couple of extra wires. I would have taken a pic but I've just put the airbag back on. If you want you could connect the controls into the wires under the steering column

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users