Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • Name: Garrie
  • Ford Model: Focus Ghia 1.6 (100PS)
  • Year: 2006

Posted 02 March 2013 - 07:40 PM

Ah good idea, how would I go about crimping the 3 wires together though? I assume I would have to snip the reverse power wire, bare the two ends, crimp them and crimp the power wire for the sensor box, whats the best way of connecting them all afterwards?

Or could I snip the reverse power wire and crimp them into the 1 connector?

If you get a decent bag/box of assorted crimp connectors you should find that there's a 3-way connector type in there. Can get them pretty cheap from Maplin with a crimping tool included.

So yeah, you'd have to snip the reverse wire and then crimp both ends into the 3-way connector along with the live wire for the sensor.

But if you can't get a 3 way connector then just shove two wires into one side of a normal two-way connector and the other wire into the other side. 

Doesn't really matter as long as they're all securely connected.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#122 iwaldo

iwaldo

• Members via FB
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Name: Johnathan
  • Ford Model: Focus Sport

Posted 02 March 2013 - 07:47 PM

Thanks for the info!

Also I seen you said about the earth point being on the left hand side of the car while the reverse power lead comes up on the right of the MK2 models, so should I just split the black and red power lead and have the box in the middle? Thanks again!

#123 GSM

GSM

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 07:50 PM

Thanks for the info!

Also I seen you said about the earth point being on the left hand side of the car while the reverse power lead comes up on the right of the MK2 models, so should I just split the black and red power lead and have the box in the middle? Thanks again!

Don't think it's the case with all MK2s, but it is with the Ghia - a few people have mentioned a few minor design differences/component locations/wire colours for the Ghia compared to other models.

With the sport you should be fine to follow the original guide. But I might be wrong.

If you do find that the live is on the right and the earth is on the left like mine, then you could house it in the middle and split the wires (like I did), or you could just use the earth wire from the reverse light. Just means more cutting and crimping of wires, rather than having the convenience of a nice earth point.

#124 iwaldo

iwaldo

• Members via FB
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Name: Johnathan
  • Ford Model: Focus Sport

Posted 02 March 2013 - 07:53 PM

Ah well I'll let you know about the placement then, but thanks again for all the help :)

#125 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 16,197 posts
  • Name: James
  • Ford Model: Sea Grey Mondeo MKIV 1.8TDCi 140ps Zetec
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 15 March 2013 - 09:03 AM

I recently bought myself a set of sensors, and the seller is from another country, so communication is difficult... I have asked him how you secure the sensors in place, and that seems to be a far too difficult question to comprehend.

So how did you guys secure your sensors in your bumper? did they just wedge in, almost impossible to remove, or did you need to secure with some adhesive?

#126 Preee

Preee

Ford Fruitcake

• 4,099 posts
  • Name: Paul
  • Ford Model: Focus Tit X Mk3 | Fiesta Zetec Mk7
  • Year: 2012
Contributor

Posted 15 March 2013 - 12:45 PM

The sensors I had , had foam strips in about three places that when pushed in. Held the sensor in place I would not glue them incase they needed replacing

#127 GSM

GSM

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 01:18 PM

Mine had 3/4 rubber wedges embedded around the circumference of each sensor - so providing the hole you drill is snug, they will keep them in place indefinitely.

No need to glue them.

#128 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 16,197 posts
Contributor

Posted 15 March 2013 - 04:38 PM

Thanks guys just double checked my sensors and they seem to have four foamy rubbery strips at 12,3,6 and 9 o clock position so hopefully this should just wedge in. Now the hard part begins of where to drill the holes... Can anyone confirm green and yellow is the correct wire on a cmax?

I just ordered a solder kit and heat wrap as I keep reading horrible things about Scotch locks...

#129 GSM

GSM

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 05:18 PM

Thanks guys just double checked my sensors and they seem to have four foamy rubbery strips at 12,3,6 and 9 o clock position so hopefully this should just wedge in. Now the hard part begins of where to drill the holes... Can anyone confirm green and yellow is the correct wire on a cmax?

I just ordered a solder kit and heat wrap as I keep reading horrible things about Scotch locks...

Trace the wire and see if it heads to your reverse bulb, only way to be sure without ripping the wire open and testing it.

As I said a few posts ago, I would actually recommend using crimp connectors and a crimping tool as opposed to soldering or scotch locks. Unless you're a soldering efficianado which you're probably not if you've only just bought yourself a soldering kit. Soldering can be tricky, especially having to do it in the boot of a car instead of on a nice working bench, and it takes a bit of practice and skill to get any good and making strong, robust, reliable connections that you won't have to re-do in 6 weeks. 

Crimp connectors are easy as pie, safer and more reliable than scotch locks, but requiring nowhere near the skill level of soldering for a good robust connection.

#130 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 16,197 posts
Contributor

Posted 15 March 2013 - 05:26 PM

Thanks again for the reply, are you able to provide any appropriate links to what would be th correct kit that I need?

I have some previous experience of soldering but not has my own kit. Also once the cable goes into the connector, how would I identify that it's then heading to the reverse lights? I suppose I would need a multimeter?

#131 Stoney871

Stoney871

Resident Peacekeeper

• Super Mod
  • 14,824 posts
  • Name: Clive
  • Ford Model: Focus mk2 1.8 TDCI Sport
Contributor

Posted 17 March 2013 - 06:26 AM

I use a kit just like this, inexpensive and easy to use.

Crimper, wire stripper/cutter, plenty of various sized crimps/bayonet connectors/ bullet connectors and easy to top up from your local DIY store when needed.

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item19d83a2927

#132 Preee

Preee

Ford Fruitcake

• 4,099 posts
  • Name: Paul
  • Ford Model: Focus Tit X Mk3 | Fiesta Zetec Mk7
  • Year: 2012
Contributor

Posted 17 March 2013 - 12:56 PM

If your going to be soldering on a vehicle  , your best using a Gas soldering gun , mine is an Iroda brought from maplins , it is fantastic , i also have 2x electric and a large soldering gun for the big jobs.

But for me gas all the way :)

#133 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 16,197 posts
Contributor

Posted 18 March 2013 - 09:04 AM

Cheers guys, will have to see how it goes... Still need to find a way to confirm the wire is definately reverse, preferably without stripping it on the offchance and connecting it up, but might just have to do that anyway!

#134 alkyz89

alkyz89

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts
  • Name: Aaron
  • Ford Model: focus zetec S
  • Year: 2010

Posted 03 April 2013 - 07:15 PM

just a quick one has anyone bought the cheaper £8 sets in silver... just wondering if its a good match?? dont realy want to have to paint them myself but at the same time i dont fancy paying £40 odd quid for a definate colour match if they are the same as the cheaper sets

#135 johnson293

johnson293

Settling In Well

• Members via FB
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Name: Marc
  • Ford Model: Focus Titanium 1.8 TDCi 115
  • Year: 2009

Posted 08 June 2013 - 05:38 PM

Found my way to this forum via a Google search about fitting rear parking sensors to my new Focus, and found this brilliant guide.

Subsequently, I've just ordered a silver rear sensor kit from Amazon for £15.

Just bought my Focus Titanium, and it has most of the 'toys' except for the rear sensors. Didn't realise it was a relatively straight forward job to fit them, and its given me the confidence to sort it.

Cheers Preee.  :)

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users