Resident Peacekeeper

• Super Mod
  • 14,705 posts
  • Name: Clive
  • Ford Model: Focus mk2 1.8 TDCI Sport
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 14 May 2013 - 10:36 PM

Definitely to do with the key-free system.

There's two parts to the passive entry system.

The back-up aerial tends to be under the carpet in the boot.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#17 giwrgos_ath

giwrgos_ath

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • Name: George
  • Ford Model: Focus MK2.5
  • Year: 2010

Posted 14 July 2013 - 09:19 AM

Right, so after much wait, i finally installed the arm rest. (photos to follow)

The electrics were plug-and-play as my car already had the loom. I didn't install an armrest with audio or sensors, just two more power outlets.

My notes from the installation are:

1. The loom is taped on the left, above the kick plates. It wasn't very easy to free it.

2. I installed the kickplates from a RHD car to a LHD one. Their difference is not huge, and probably most people won't even notice it.

3. I had issues with the handbrake leaver, since it was getting in the way and couldn't free the old console, or install the new one. I thought of many solutions (remove the handbrake, loosen the cable and more) but i ended up simply pulling it more. Depending on the condition of the handbrake and how tight it is, this might not be an issue for others.

4. This is a relatively easy installation. Note however, that before you remove the old console, you need to remove 4 screws. Two in the front and two in the back. To access the front ones, you need to remove the gear gaiter and the big silver bezel.

5. My old gear gaiter was not compatible with the new one. The new console, requires a larger gaiter which i now need to source.

Any info on my last point, would be much appreciated.

#18 salsheikh

salsheikh

Sal_Sheikh

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,553 posts
  • Name: Sal
  • Ford Model: Focus 1.8 Turbo D
  • Year: 2008

Posted 14 July 2013 - 05:46 PM

I too had the issue with the handbrake. You have to loosen its bolts to make it easier. I did it the hard way and cut through my old console. I only found out from the ebay seller a day late...
The gearstick surround was sourced from a member on here!

#19 Stoney871

Stoney871

Resident Peacekeeper

• Super Mod
  • 14,705 posts
Contributor

Posted 14 July 2013 - 06:11 PM

;)

#20 giwrgos_ath

giwrgos_ath

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 08:21 PM

;)

hehe i really can't guess who could that be... :P

If anyone has any spare ones, i'll be interested

#21 Stoney871

Stoney871

Resident Peacekeeper

• Super Mod
  • 14,705 posts
Contributor

Posted 14 July 2013 - 08:27 PM

You're best off keeping your eye out for a complete set of trim, gaiter and knob to save having to bodge the gaiter to fit your existing knob.

The mk2 knob is fitted to the gaitor with an elasticated ring that sits in a rim at the bottom whereas the mk2.5 one is sandwiched between the base of the knob and a very tight plastic collar.
The mk2 and 2.5 knobs have the same threads so both fit the stick just fine.

#22 Passman86

Passman86

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Name: John
  • Ford Model: Focus Mk 2.5 1.6 TDCi Style Estate

Posted 15 July 2013 - 06:14 PM

Hey there.

I too have done this retro fit in the last week and i am having an issue. When I fitted the armrest I didn't realise that the rear of the console on the newer version didn't fit at the bottom like it did on my old, non armrest console, but at the sides. I carried on fitting and left it hanging loose thinking I could rig a piece of sheet metal at a later date.

Over the weekend while driving around I noticed that the connection between the console and the radio dashboard would come away and create an unsightly gap. After a bit of investigation it seems that the back of the console is sitting too low down. Thankfully I found this thread and I have ordered the adapter bracket direct from Ford this afternoon.

What I'm hoping is that this bracket will lift the rear of the console into the correct position. Did anyone else have this issue when fitting? Currently I have wedged a piece of plastic at the rear of the console to at least hold it in place for now. 

#23 giwrgos_ath

giwrgos_ath

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 06:29 PM

I didn't have such a problem. The back of my console sits properly on the ground.

My guess is that you might haven't secured a few clips between the console and the console top or that your console moves towards the back seats and that causes the gap.

When you secure the console with the bracket, you should be OK. Let us know of your outcome.

#24 Passman86

Passman86

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 06:35 PM

Will do. Hopefully the bracket will be delivered to the dealer tomorrow, if not it will be Wednesday.

The other thing I'm having an issue with sourcing the 2 kick plates that are different between the armrest and none armrest versions. I can get them from ford direct but these are almost £80 for just the 2 pieces of plastic. That's almost as much as I paid for the entire centre console.

#25 Hell5200

Hell5200

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Ford Model: Ford Focus Econetic Estate

Posted 15 July 2013 - 06:50 PM

Took me ages to get the footwell panels, I just emailed everyone on ebay who was breaking a focus, eventually got them for £25 delievered.

#26 giwrgos_ath

giwrgos_ath

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 06:56 PM

Yeah, they are very expensive if you get them from the dealer. That's why i didn't bother much and used the RHD while i drive a LHD.

Try at the breakers. Hopefully you'll find some. What did you do with the gear gaiter?

By the way, are sites such as breakeryard any good, or should i avoid using them?

#27 Passman86

Passman86

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 07:36 PM

For now I have "modified" the original none armrest panels will just look when I can for some replacements. I have emailed the guy I got the armrest from on ebay in the hope he has them still.

I got everything in one go, so I had the gear gaiter include. I still have my original one though along with the rest of the standard Style centre console.

#28 salsheikh

salsheikh

Sal_Sheikh

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,553 posts
  • Name: Sal
  • Ford Model: Focus 1.8 Turbo D

Posted 15 July 2013 - 09:13 PM

I used the original side kick panels by breaking off the locating tabs and making the cinsole fit over the top. Job done.
Pity ford created different panels at silly prices

#29 Passman86

Passman86

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 06:57 PM

So, got the bracket yesterday and fitted it in less than 20 minutes. Solid as a rock now and all panels fit perfectly.

Job done, and I must say I'm pleased.

#30 giwrgos_ath

giwrgos_ath

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 07:49 PM

I recently decided to add USB support to my car.

Unfortunately my Bluetooth did not support USB, but i came across a USB MusicBox (A66SA 14D202-AA / 1746768) at a reasonable cheap price.

This comes with a strange extension cord and it connects on the cable going to the stereo. I had a look on the internet and saw people installing it in the glove box or just routing the USB end to the bottom of the arm rest, below the small mat.

1.jpg

I decided to scrap those suggestions and see if i can install it in the designated location, which is the IPOD holder for the armrest. I got one of those (8M51-A045N24-AAW) which also has an AUX port. I also had to buy a USB port for it (8M5T-19A164-BB) which costs around £15.

3.jpg 2.jpg

When i tried to install that, i noticed that it was not possible because FORD has created a special USB adapter for this. The original cable however comes in two parts and costs an unreasonable amount of money. I decided to see what's inside the USB i socket and if there was any way to fit a normal usb in it.

4.jpg

I bought a Male to Female cable hoping to strip the metal part and somehow attach it to the USB, but i then realized that this was not possible because the wiring was inverted. Instead of trying with a Male to Male cable which would probably be ok, i decided to get a USB socket kit and rewire the whole thing.

5.jpg

Instead of getting the rewire kit, i could easily solder everything directly on the pins of the USB, however i decided to keep everything in a condition that i can easily revert, in case i come across a proper cable sometime in the future. To do that, i had to replace the original pins with the ones from the kit.

6.jpg

After soldering and assembly, the cable seems to be working, so i installed everything on the armrest.

I can now select "AUX" to listen to browse the USB. The good thing is that the steering controls are fully functional, but the negative is that i do not have track Information on the screen. This might be an issue with the files however.

Hope the above will be of interest to someone.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: armrest

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users