Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Damage to paint work

Andrew94

Hi there 

I'm just new to this forum and I don't know the correct procedure so I'm sorry, please don't be mad. 

I'm looking for advice on the paint work for my 67 plate Ford Fiesta ST Line in the colour Red. I got it brand new from Evans Halshaw in October and now I have multiple tiny chips and scrapes across my bonnet and the roof just above the windshield. Most of these marks have the paint completely taken off and the bare metal is exposed. I haven't noticed anything that significant hitting my car to cause this damage. The roads I mainly use is town roads and the occasional the motorway. Has anyone had similar problems? 

A person I work with that's had experience working with car spraying doesn't think the correct coating or primer has been used or its not set correctly is there anyway I can prove this? 

I contacted Evans Halshaw and they said that it's my fault nothing they can do so I'd take any advice on this matter and what would be the best way to go about. 

I'd appreciate any help that anyone could give me.  I apologise again if I've posted this in the wrong place or if I have repeated any content. Im just lost on the matter and would like some help. 

Thanks Andy

Edited by Andrew94
Adding more content

Hi there 
I'm just new to this forum and I don't know the correct procedure so I'm sorry, please don't be mad. 
I'm looking for advice on the paint work for my 67 plate Ford Fiesta ST Line in the colour Red. I got it brand new from Evans Halshaw in October and now I have multiple tiny chips and scrapes across my bonnet and the roof just above the windshield. Most of these marks have the paint completely taken off and the bare metal is exposed. I haven't noticed anything that significant hitting my car to cause this damage. The roads I mainly use is town roads and the occasional the motorway. Has anyone had similar problems? 
A person I work with that's had experience working with car spraying doesn't think the correct coating or primer has been used or its not set correctly is there anyway I can prove this? 
I contacted Evans Halshaw and they said that it's my fault nothing they can do so I'd take any advice on this matter and what would be the best way to go about. 
I'd appreciate any help that anyone could give me.  I apologise again if I've posted this in the wrong place or if I have repeated any content. Im just lost on the matter and would like some help. 
Thanks Andy

Hi there!

I had similar damage on my car also from EH. Bought a 62 plate about 2 years ago- bumper, bonnet and roof all looked as if it hadn’t been sprayed properly- which they corrected and is now coming back again.

Perhaps they’ve done a cheap job to get the car up to standard and just blown some paint over the car rather than doing a proper repair. As your friend suggested sounds like the proper preparation has not been undertaken. Perhaps some pictures could shed some light?

I also paid for supagard treatment on the vehicle but after two times of them “applying” it I’m still not convinced- but that’s a different story

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the help but I can upload any photos the files are too large. I am convinced that it's poor paint work brand new car and there is at least 15+ hits across my hood and roof most down to the bare metal. So angry at how I've been treated by EH. 

Thanks again. 

I think there is something wrong with the paint work, imagine another years time what it will look like. Seems like they are being defensive, you just need to be confident in approaching the situation.

Take it back to the dealer, request a manager / say you wish to make a complaint about your car and how you have been treated, physically show the manager the paint work and challenge them on it.

Does the damage appear normal to you?

Have you ever seen a car this age with this sort of damage?

Will there be any paint left in a years time?

Regardless of whether they agree or not,

-------------------------

Tell them you do not believe the paint work to be of satisfactory quality in accordance with consumer rights under the sales of goods act, it is chipping too easily and is not of sufficient durability that one would reasonably expect on a modern car.

In light of this, I therefore wish to exercise my consumer rights under the sales of goods act and give you the opportunity to remedy the fault I initially reported verbally on [date goes here]. If you fail to do so I will have no choice but to take this further via legal action, as well as make a formal complaint againt yourself as the manager of this dealership to Evans Halshaw head office.

-----------------------

As a side note, I am hoping you reported the fault within 6 months of owning the car (makes it a bit easier if going down the legal route), as under the sales of goods act if any product appears to be of unsatisfactory quality and is less than 6 months old, it will automatically be assumed in law that the product was not of satisfactory quality and the onus will be on the seller to prove otherwise. If they cannot or won't, they are obliged to remedy the fault and you should allow them to do so.

I strongly recommend you follow up your visit in writing as a signed and dated letter, detailing what has happened so far. Specify the date you purchased the car, date you first reported the fault, what happened, further dates you spoke to them and the outcome. Thank the manager for meeting with you on date XYX, reiterate something similar to the text in italics above.

Witten evidence in always best should you need to take the legal route but I hope the above actions will indicate to them that you mean business.

Good luck :)

It looks like stone chips, where are they? Hard to see size out of context. Bad paint usually blisters or peels from an edge first.

• Like 1

The first picture is the very front of my bonnet and the other is just above my headlights 

I appreciate the assistance everyone thank you 

They look like stone chips to me, there was a lot of gritting this winter especially over your way.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club