Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Is anyone able to supply me with...?

Phil21185

a set of instructions for a Spider Arachnid Tuning Box please?

This could be a general item but I'm am asking more specifically for a focus so hope the thread is ok here.

There's a second hand one I'm interested in but comes without instructions. Can't seem to find any on the manufacturers site so wondering if anyone would be kind enough to post pics or scan the more salient bits?

Mainly interested in how to set it up and what all the buttons do!

Thanks in advance.

31 minutes ago, Phil21185 said:

a set of instructions for a Spider Arachnid Tuning Box please?

This could be a general item but I'm am asking more specifically for a focus so hope the thread is ok here.

There's a second hand one I'm interested in but comes without instructions. Can't seem to find any on the manufacturers site so wondering if anyone would be kind enough to post pics or scan the more salient bits?

Mainly interested in how to set it up and what all the buttons do!

Thanks in advance.

I bought a used Spider box (back end of last year), I'll take a look in the shed tomorrow to see if I can find the user manual.

• Thanks 1

There you go mate, I've scanned them at 300 DPI so they're nice and clear.  The 1st 3 links are for the pages from the owners/user guide, the 4th link is for the bluetooth sync process (just in case you paid for the extra functionality).

https://ibb.co/i3ys4n
https://ibb.co/n7Zoc7
https://ibb.co/c7LuH7
https://ibb.co/jecDAS

Oh and when I was looking to buy mine, I emailed diesel tuning 3 times with a simple query and never got an answer. :shit: Frankly if that's their level of customer care I'm glad I wasn't giving them any of my money. 

As you'll be able to see from the instructions it's fairly straightforward, although from what others on here have posted, the placing within some engine bays of the connectors you want can be a bit tricky to get to!  Thankfully (for me) on the Lynx engine it's smack bang at the front of the engine. :biggrin:

• Thanks 1

That's great, thanks a lot mate. 

To be honest, the one I'm looking at is a BMW one, but on Spiders website, it says all you need to do is swap the loom (which they'll do for £20) and it works on any car...

Just now, Phil21185 said:

To be honest, the one I'm looking at is a BMW one, but on Spiders website, it says all you need to do is swap the loom (which they'll do for £20) and it works on any car...

No worries mate, don't forget to post with how you get on.

21 hours ago, Phil21185 said:

Once the loom is swapped you just have reset the box and know which preset to use for the engine it's plugged into.

17 hours ago, 1979Damian said:

Once the loom is swapped you just have reset the box and know which preset to use for the engine it's plugged into.

Hold the 'c' button for 2 secs, right?

What do you mean by know which preset to use? While it's calibrating itself, you mean? I think @madmole said on his threads that he left it in eco for the first 50 miles. 

Well I've bought it anyways as it was a damn sight cheaper than new. It was discounted further cos part of the plastic on the loom had melted - poor positioning in the engine I suppose - but as I don't need that it doesn't matter, as long as the box works, and it'll get returned if it doesn't.

Now just got to wait for that and the loom to arrive...... How I wish I was patient!

Well I've had the loom delivered today and it only has one y connection on it, as in, it will only intercept the readings from one sensor. 

Apart from coming with no instructions as to which sensor it should be plugged into (having explained the situation to spider over email before being told that this was the loom I needed), I thought that  a 2014 1.6tdci focus chip used feeds from two sensors...?

Well i managed to trawl through @madmole's posts to find the right one:

In it he says they originally sent him the wrong loom, as there was a change in the engine from the Mk2.5 and the Mk3 was pretty new at the time.  The one he got sent did have 2 sensor attachments, item code was SPD232.  When I emailed Spider and asked, they told me SPD131 was required.  It only has one connection (well, 2 but you know what I mean) and no instructions.  I would assume that it would be for the fuel rail, but seeing as how I KNOW now that there should be 2 connections, I am reluctant to try it...

Problem is, there are 4 different SPD232 looms available on the website...

Another problem is, its exceedingly difficult to track the company down.  Though they sent me the loom I have with no problem, none of the phone numbers I can find actually connect.

It looks like Spider Performance is actually a wound up company, whose RO used to be in Hatton Gardens.  No Longer.  Though there seems to be an arm operating the Phillippines.

It seems like the umbrella company, Marsden Technologies Ltd also owns DTS Chiptuning, the phone number for which is no longer in use.

It appears that Marsden Tech and DTS have the same RO - in Marfleet Industrial Estate in Hull, but their Unit now appears occupied by a Health trust....

Marsden Tech are late to submit accounts as well, according to Companies House...

There IS a company operating somewhere, as my loom arrived (and from Barton-Upon-Humber) but getting hold of them seems impossible.

Not getting any contact via phone or online was the thing that rather peed me off when I purchasing mine via eBay.

I believe you're right about some of the newer engines having a loom that connects in 2 places, rather than just on the fuel pressure sensor (like my 1.8 TDCi).

I'm not sure I'd be too inclined to try fitting the loom you've received.

On 03/04/2018 at 2:11 PM, Phil21185 said:

Hold the 'c' button for 2 secs, right?

What do you mean by know which preset to use? While it's calibrating itself, you mean? I think @madmole said on his threads that he left it in eco for the first 50 miles. 

It's the "Program" setting that seems to be most important, I guess each "Program" may be a collections of maps/offsets for the pressure sensor etc.

3 hours ago, 1979Damian said:

Not getting any contact via phone or online was the thing that rather peed me off when I purchasing mine via ebay.

I believe you're right about some of the newer engines having a loom that connects in 2 places, rather than just on the fuel pressure sensor (like my 1.8 TDCi).

It's the "Program" setting that seems to be most important, I guess each "Program" may be a collections of maps/offsets for the pressure sensor etc.

Hm. I may have to send Stephen a mail. Not sure he's on much now though...

6 hours ago, 1979Damian said:

Not getting any contact via phone or online was the thing that rather peed me off when I purchasing mine via ebay.

Was yours advertised as for your car then and you didn't have to do any farting around with it?

Kind of.  The seller advertised it as being for a Ford 1.8 TDCi and some Audi engine (the Ford engine is what he originally used the box on).

The only thing I had to check with the seller was which "program" to use i.e. 1-5.

Basically I just had to:

• Plug it all in
  • Turn on the ignition without starting the engine (to power up the tuning box)
  • Change the "Program" to 1
  • Hold "C" for a couple of seconds until I got flashing blue lights
  • Picked a performance mode.

I also went for Eco Pro for the 1st tank and worked up from there.  (I've used all the modes and found road 4 worked best for my engine, I also calculated my MPG brim to brim for each tank/mode to try and get a feel for what the differences were).