Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Door lock problems

James Mount

Hi users,

I have a 2012 Mondeo Estate Mk4 2.0tdci that has developed an irritating problem with the driver front door lock.  It only affects this lock.  When you press the button on the key fob to unlock the doors, it makes the noise (so you know it has unlocked, you know then reassuring clunk) but sometimes the door unlocks and sometimes it doesn't.  When it doesn't unlock, if you press the unlock button a couple more times then this will usually unlock the door (most of the time).

Exactly the same thing happens in reverse when you are locking the car too.

When you physically put the key in the lock and turn it, the locks do what they are supposed too.

I'm no expert but if I had to describe the problem in layman terms then I would say that the actual motor/servo/actuator that operates the lock is a bit tired.  I did the obvious thing and changed the battery in to fob just in case it was happening due to a poor signal (I didn't actually think this would be the problem but I knew someone would suggest that straight away).  This didn'y make any difference to it.

Has anyone else ever encountered this problem?  What caused it? How did you fix it?  How much did it cost?

Any and all advise would be appreciated.

James

Thought I would just reply to raise it on the screen.  Any ideas everyone?

James

Sorry can't help.

i once had a granada with central locking, not key fob, but turn key in drivers door lock to lock / unlock all doors. It had same kind of problem you describe (except using key, not key fob) in that one of the rear doors was troublesome. I took the interior door panel off that rear door and oiled all the bits around the locking /latch mechanism and it was fine after that. The solenoid was not moving the connected parts far enough as they had got stiff.  It was older than yours, maybe 10 years old at the time. If I had your car with the problem you have I would be removing the door trim so you can see what happens inside the door as the solenoid clunks and see if it needs oil , adjusting, bending or whatever

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club