Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus MK2 (2006) - Aftermarket Stereo advice.

Jwatson

Hi all,

I am looking at replacing the original stereo that came with the car (Cd 6000, attached a pic) with an aftermarket one. Ideally I want bluetooth and Sat Nav capability. (Also any kind of Apple compatibility would be good)

Firstly how difficult is it to do and would you recommend any model in particular? Don't want to spend a fortune but also not sure on the Chinese ones from eBay.

Also not sure on what connectors are required, additional trims etc...

Appreciate any responses,

Thanks

maxresdefault.jpg

1. It's VERY easy to take the old one out and replace it.

2. The easiest solution is one of the Chinese units that is a direct replacement and will fit into the same space left by the stock unit (which is larger than double-DIN). Xtrons is a brand I've been considering myself. THIS unit will just swap over and give you radio, DVD, sat nav, etc. You will be able to connect your iPhone but it's not Apple Car Play (as it's an Android-based unit)

3. You can go for a 'better' known brand, and pay more for it. Especially if you want Car Play compatibility. They will also require a fascia plate to fit correctly in the dash. Autoleads do a replacement front which make the gap in the dash standard double-DIN size so no extra filler adapters required to make it look stock

Hi Eddy thanks for the reply,

So the chinese units will go straight in, no extra fascia plates needed?

Was looking at this;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Transit-Focus-Fusion-Galaxy-Car-Stereo-DVD-Player-GPS-Sat-Nav-DAB-Radio-BT/122560252067?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

Seems to come with all the leads required, then just a case of fitting and positioning the GPS and DAB antenna in the trim?

Also am I correct in thinking i would need a microphone for hands free bluetooth? Some listings show it as an added extra.

11 hours ago, Jwatson said:

Hi Eddy thanks for the reply,

So the chinese units will go straight in, no extra fascia plates needed?

Was looking at this;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Transit-Focus-Fusion-Galaxy-Car-Stereo-DVD-Player-GPS-Sat-Nav-DAB-Radio-BT/122560252067?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

Seems to come with all the leads required, then just a case of fitting and positioning the GPS and DAB antenna in the trim?

Yes, that will fit without anything else (if it was a generic double-DIN unit you would need extra fascias) BUT looking at the spec, it's a lower screen resolution to the one I linked to, is a resistive touchscreen as opposed to capacitive (like your iPhone) and doesn't list EU radio bands (although I'm sure it would be fine). It also doesn't mention the Android version so it could be running an older version (although it does mention BT 5.0 which would have to be a newer version in theory). You have to think about warranty as well as it might be a proper PITA should anything go wrong.

There should be a mic on the front of the unit but you can use an external one to help bring it closer to you when driving (some Android forums say the built in ones can be a bit rubbish)

Went for this one in the end..

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/XTRONS-Android-7-1-Car-DVD-GPS-SatNav-DAB-Stereo-Ford-Focus-Fiesta-Transit-Kuga/252465791823?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

This model has the capacitive touchscreen and high res than previous one i linked to. Also bought the DAB USB and external bluetooth Mic. Total cost was approx £215

11 hours ago, Jwatson said:

Went for this one in the end..

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/XTRONS-Android-7-1-Car-DVD-GPS-SatNav-DAB-Stereo-Ford-Focus-Fiesta-Transit-Kuga/252465791823?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

This model has the capacitive touchscreen and high res than previous one i linked to. Also bought the DAB USB and external bluetooth Mic. Total cost was approx £215

See if it can be updated to Android 8 once you get it, it's always best to be as up-to-date as you can (although with a radio it's not the end of the world if not. More important if you were connecting it to the Internet a lot)

Please write your feedback after you receive it and install it (of how easy it was to connect all the wires, if you did it yourself, general use, microphone quality, etc.) Cheers 🚗

On 5/13/2018 at 9:03 PM, EddyOS said:

Xtrons is a brand I've been considering myself. THIS unit will just swap over and give you radio

On 5/14/2018 at 8:56 AM, EddyOS said:

You have to think about warranty as well as it might be a proper PITA should anything go wrong.

Do you think these guys should be more involved with the warranty than other Chinese manufacturers? On eBay they say they have a fitting service and warehouse/hq in Leeds UK so maybe some kind of support should be available. 

40 minutes ago, Sss said:

Do you think these guys should be more involved with the warranty than other Chinese manufacturers? On ebay they say they have a fitting service and warehouse/hq in Leeds UK so maybe some kind of support should be available. 

I would agree with you, and perhaps it's worth confirming that with the seller just to be sure

Easy to install, however i'm not sure how to get the steering wheel controls working at the moment.

I sent the seller on eBay a message asking how to do it and got this reply..

"Please connect the key wire with your steering wheel control wire,then set up the buttons in the setting.
The pin code is 123456.Thanks."

Any one with any idea what this means and what exactly i need to do?

P.S - I'm still awaiting DAB USB module and external bluetooth Mic. Once it's all complete i'll take some pics etc..

Attached a few pics. The orange wire is the key wire and the green wire going into the white box is labelled as the steering wheel control according to the diagram provided on the eBay listing.

1D4B2414-CA23-4276-93A1-BA535C104D6F.jpeg

8A139C6B-EEE6-4122-80FF-2AAF4DCB978F.jpeg

I have the same unit, got it about 2 months ago.

It can't be updated to android 8 from what I can see.

To get the steering controls working, first is the illumination working.

If it is go to steering settings in the menu, press start, and select an action of the screen then press the button on the controls to set it, once you are finished press end.

It took me 2 days to get the illumination working and about 2 weeks to figure out the control setup.

Ahh didn’t realise needed to press start before setting the controls. Ok steering wheel controls working but panel keys aren’t illuminating. There are two separate illumi connectors , one coming from the canbus and one from the ISO harness. Only one can connect to what I assume is the female end coming from the stereo connection?

I’ve got it working. Connected the illumi coming from the harness into the stereo and not the canbus. Then illumination comes on when I turn the lights on. Assume that’s the proper way to do it?

That's correct and exactly the same mistake I made.

Glad I’m not the only one 😂

If only they detailed that in the manual.

Ok so everything now connected (minus external mic which i've had to order a 3.5mm extension as not long enough)

The DAB+ USB module i bought is giving me a headache. The signal is mostly bad and i've tried repositioning, scratching paint on the pillar for a better ground and still signal isn't good. Anyone experiencing anything similar and able to get a better signal? I've found some stations to be ok at best but KISS FM for example i'm lucky to get 1 bar.

Also what navigation app would you recommend? I've got Google maps at the moment and downloaded a section to use offline. However am finding the speech a bit hit and miss (sometimes starts giving me a direction and mid sentance just stopping).

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club