Do Not Sell My Personal Information

SYNC 3 Update Problem

Mike O

Hi there,

I have a new (400 miles) Focus Titanium X hatch with a 1.0 Ecotech 125bhp engine and manual gearbox.

The first time I drove the car to work, I noticed that a major junction change - completed a couple of years ago - wasn't showing on the map display. That evening I went onto Ford's site and, after entering the VIN of my car, was linked to a page with a 2.6Gb update for the SYNC3. I read through the instructions, got a new thumb drive, formatted it to Ex-FAT, then downloaded the update to my computer. I unzipped it and copied it to the thumb drive, then took it out to the car.

Again, following the instructions, I started the engine and then inserted the drive into the USB port under the centre armrest. The system immediatley recognised the thumb drive (by the name I had given it) and then...

Nothing.

The guidance all says the update should start automatically - and says it may take some minutes for the drive to be recognised; it also warns that some functionality my be lost whilst it updates, but the next time you start the vehicle it will boot up into the new load.

None of this happened, despite several attempts and a long time spent in the car on the driveway - I also used the USB port at the bottom of the central dash, without any success.

No problem - I drop into my local dealer (Bussey's in Dereham, Norfolk) and ask the service Manager her advice. She sends a tech out to the car with me and he confirms that it should be working and I have followed the correct procedure.

He suggests a solution will be to 'front load' the system using their diagnostic computer to get it up to date. Excellent.

I go back in to book the car in to have this done, to be met with "There will be a bill for this". After a polite exchange of views, during which time she suggested that this wasn't a warranty issue, and I suggested it was no different to my being unable to open the fuel cap because of a fault, I decided to drop Ford a line.

Their reply was that there would be a charge, but that it would be refunded if it proved to be a fault. Which sounds like the greatest Get Out of Jail Free Card I have heard of. "No sir, we loaded it via a thumb drive and it behaved as expected".

In order to get this software into the car, I see little option but to give it to the dealer, bend over and take it like a man.

Before I do so, has anyone got any advice on a method of updating the SYNC3 that might save me this fate please?

Thanks,

Mike

Hi Mike,

It took my 2017 Focus 25 minutes of my car running to update to version 3.0, and to be honest there really isnt any advantages in doing so, as this wont update the map, if this is the main reason you are trying to update.

All the forums on the net are bursting at the seams of people moaning that the maps on the Sync 3 system are based on 2014 data and that Ford need to get their finger out and update them asap!

If you do want to persevere with updating yourself, cos it should work if you have followed the Ford instruction to the letter, then good luck.  There are a few threads on this forum that discuss the issues if not.

G

Hi, 

I had a similiar issue with my new as of march focus st 3  with premium sync 3. downloaded and transferred the update. but it took a couple of attempts to get it going via usb. 

i think i managed it on the front port in the end. but it makes no difference to the map updates. there are several new junctions and roads that i know of that are still not on it. and to be frank i am quite annoyed as it is something i need and use often. 

so no matter what you do your map will still be at least 18 months out of date if not more.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club