Sign in to follow this  
sue76

Turbo nightmares

Hi all just joined in the hope someone can help.

Brought a 56 plate focus estate diesel auto 1.6

turbo died so had it replaced 2 days ago, it seems new turbo is also broken.

Loss of power, put my foot down got no faster than 40mph and revs hitting 3000 a load of smoke from exaust i think black or dark grey.

An hour or 2 before i had pulled into a garage and could hear some dodgy sounding noises. there were 2 recovery men also at garage so asked them to have a look, they said they think turbo has gone.

I took a video so i could record the noise it was making for the garage that replaced the turbo but cant add it to here as its saying its too big.

Whats the chances of the new (reconditioned) turbo breaking after 2 days roughly 400 miles.

When it was replaced i also had full service, filters oil and dpf clean done.

I think it's very unlikely the turbo has gone unless it's not been installed correctly, also I hope you didn't pay for the DPF clean because I'm fairly certain your car does not have one 

Very likely the turbo has failed again.  These DV6 engines are known for carbon blockages which kill turbo after turbo if not rectified correctly.  When the turbo is changed, the oil pump and oil feed pipe must be replaced, along with the sump being removed and cleaned, and the whole oil system flushed.  Even then it's possible some carbon has been left behind.

5 hours ago, Ryan_Tango said:

I think it's very unlikely the turbo has gone unless it's not been installed correctly, also I hope you didn't pay for the DPF clean because I'm fairly certain your car does not have one 

it does sadly have a dpf but nope i didnt pay for it as garage took forever

5 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Very likely the turbo has failed again.  These DV6 engines are known for carbon blockages which kill turbo after turbo if not rectified correctly.  When the turbo is changed, the oil pump and oil feed pipe must be replaced, along with the sump being removed and cleaned, and the whole oil system flushed.  Even then it's possible some carbon has been left behind.

they mentioned wastegate and boost pressure, no idea what either of those are.

Dumped the car back in their carpark at 3am this morning off the back of a tow truck.

On 7/4/2018 at 8:35 AM, TomsFocus said:

Spot on chum.  No point replacing the turbo unless any parts that contributed to the failure are replaced.  A decent spannerman would know this.