Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MK4.5 Headlamp compatibility

Dee_82

Anyone know if the facelift version of the headlights will fit and work in a pre face lift car?

They have two different finnis codes, the facelift version is listed as supporting DTRL which the mk4 pre facelift doesn't show.

im not interested in DTRL just now, my lamps are filling up with water, ive tried sealing every conceivable join but its still pooling in the bottom so ive found 2 nearly new genuine lamps for 50 quid which is better than the 100 being asked for a single OE part but obviously im aware the bumper and bonnet is a different shape sooo, they might also be slightly different?

I would just drill a couple of small holes in bottom of units so water could drain off. A lot cheaper that replacement.

• Like 1

I think it will fit, but the headlamps themselves don't have the wiring inside for the side light bulb, so this would mean that you wouldn't have any side lights and potentially the wiring on the plug could be different, I don't know for sure ( I believe the hole for the side light bulb holder is there, just capped off.) 

• Like 2

ah, damn it, thats probably why they are going for such a good price, no side lights would be a problem. id love to do the full 4.5 conversion but ive got too many other problems to deal with just now. Ok, thanks, thats much apprechatited. 

Drilling holes would help remove the standing water but the lens is getting absolutely covered in beaded water (not just condensation but full on drops) firstly im not sure thats an MOT fail or not but secondly, if it keeps doing this then the lenses will eventually discolour and need replaced anyway, they are already water stained. 😞 

It basically doesn't stop raining in Scotland, even after leaving them inside for hours with a warm hair dryer, one night in the rain and they are soaked again, its gotta be a seal but for the life of me I cant work out whats leaking

Have you check the vent tubes aren't blocked?

Sorry I did not realise that you were in Scotland, (rains almost every day for at least 10 mins from exp). I have not looked at mine but do (should) you have the rubber or plastic bulb covers on the rear of the light unit?. If you have neither then I would suspect moisture/water is getting in via the bulbs.

all tubes are clear, I even blasted them with compressed air in case a persistent spider made a home.  the rear tabs are intact and locked on the plastic bulb cover (single piece of plastic), the rubber seal is free of debris, the indicator bulb is fully inserted and locked. I lubed them up for good measure.  

When standing still pools of water appear on the top ledge of the lens where the black backing meets the clear lens and there is also a pool of water on top of the clip. 

Both lights appear to have the same problem so I reckon its a case of whatever material was used to seal something, its lost its integrity or something a,d is allowing water to pass it... 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club