Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Allergies..What are you allergic to....

jace1969
聽Share

I was reading there are so many people who have Allergies and some are very bad and stoppes them having a normal life.

I have always been Allergic to cat/dogs but mainly cats as i can get around the dog side of it.

If i go into a house where a cat is or the room a cat has been in my eyes itch and if i rub them they swell up and go red,not half as bad with dogs as don't get the feeling

to itch my eyes just if i touch the dog then itch then i get the problem and also i always have to wash my hands after touching a dog,never touch a cat as i know it

would be a lot worse.

Does anyone have the same of a different one or and bad one as there are a lot of food ones out.

I'm allergic to penicillin. I was given it as a teenager for a throat infection (I think) and came out in a rash and had some pretty wierd dreams. It doesn't affect me in my normal day to day life though. Can't imagine what it must be like with a food allergy or cat etc I should probably get a medical bracelet or something, I do have it in the emergency section on my phone though 馃槈

Pollen is the main one for me and a lot of other people, it's such a daft allergy as well, humans have been living outside for hundreds of thousands of years yet now we're allergic to it!! :laugh:聽 It really does affect what we can do in certain months of the year though.

I'm also allergic to garlic and anything else in the same family (so onions, leeks etc).聽 I'm not a chef, and trying to find ready-prepared food in the supermarket without onions or garlic is pain every week.聽 I usually just buy the same things knowing they'll be ok, for anything different I have to check all ingredients...but was really annoyed a couple of weeks ago.聽 I've been buying Tesco cheese and ham quiche pretty much once a week for at least 6 years as it's one of the few without onions...but a couple of weeks ago they changed the packaging...and it turns out they changed the recipe at the same time to include onion, fortunately I noticed with the smell so no harm done but it's just something else to add to the list of things I can't have from Tesco now.聽 It's not classed as a major allergen like gluten or nuts so they don't have to list it in bold or even make the customer aware that the recipe has changed. :sad:

I used to be allergic to gloss paint when I was younger, though that seems to have stopped since, unless they make modern paint differently nowadays. 聽聽

I have 聽long list lol. Worse ones are nuts, eggs and latex. I have to carry an Epi Pen at all times

its amazing aint it how these things happen,i have never had a Pollen problem for ages then just one year i had it very very bad where i went up doctors as i didnt

know what it was but i only had it for that year,that was a good 10 years ago.

I have a reaction to nuts now and never did where they make me a bit harder to breath.

Got to say when younger the cat/dog problem was a problem as every mates house have either a dog or cat so i was the one waiting outside.

We have had dogs and aint a big problem but i have to not even go into a house where a cat has been,i know in 10mins after going in they have

a cat as i start sneezing or very itchy nose.

I get hayfever. Worst thing especially in the summer when you want to enjoy your holiday. Strangely this summer I don't think I've been getting it or only got it a few times. As is in the name my head sometimes goes hot as if I have a fever and I sneeze mainly. I find having an anti histamine tablet before bed helps the next day.聽

@TomsFocus聽that is something I wonder about if thousands of years ago if people got hayfever or not. Could be evolution or that pollen could actually be harmful which could explain why we react to it. These symptoms mainly come as a way for the body to fight and expel the pollen. Lol I think you should get into cooking, I've gotten into it and like to make easy to make food like fried mushrooms on toast and double fried chips 馃ぃ.聽

4 hours ago, Jonro2009 said:

I have 聽long list lol. Worse ones are nuts, eggs and latex. I have to carry an Epi Pen at all times

I think you win the thread... :laugh:

2 hours ago, zain611 said:

@TomsFocus聽that is something I wonder about if thousands of years ago if people got hayfever or not. Could be evolution or that pollen could actually be harmful which could explain why we react to it. These symptoms mainly come as a way for the body to fight and expel the pollen. Lol I think you should get into cooking, I've gotten into it and like to make easy to make food like fried mushrooms on toast and double fried chips 馃ぃ.聽

Yeah they probably did, allergies aren't anything new, I'm sure scientists traced them right back to Neanderthals at least.聽 It's interesting how much they can find out with modern DNA sequencing .聽 Things that seem 'modern' like lactose intolerance can be found in 5000 year old humans. 馃槷

Lol, I can manage to cook toast or chips. :biggrin:聽 But I don't like touching raw meat, and don't trust myself to cook it safely without a packets instructions lol.聽 Other issue for me cooking is quantities, works out cheaper to buy things ready done for one person than to buy the individual ingredients, especially fresh items that go off too quickly for one person as well.聽 It's different if there are 2/3/4 people to buy & cook for.

• Like 1

It鈥檚 not the best competition to be winning at @TomsFocus聽lol

allergies are not a new thing, you are right. And contrary to popular belief you can develop an allergy to something over time, one day you can be eating something and聽the next day you are having a reaction. An allergy to medications very often becomes apparent after the second dose and not the first.聽

• Haha 1

My 18yr old son has just been diagnosed with a wheat allergy/intolerance after years of suffering in silence. Bit tricky as most of his foods he eats聽 contain wheat of sorts.聽

7 hours ago, iantt said:

My 18yr old son has just been diagnosed with a wheat allergy/intolerance after years of suffering in silence. Bit tricky as most of his foods he eats聽 contain wheat of sorts.聽

I think food ones are one of the main thing these days and as you say wheat is getting more common as i do know a few with this.

The thing with this as you said in most cases you don't even know and can live with it for ages,i have to look at labels a lot in shops for my elderly dad for stuff

but the funny thing is the less ingredients in something is a lot more money it is.

Yeah, we found that out. Wheat free pasta, 3 times the price of normal wheat pasta.

Probably comes down to the extra work of extracting the wheat out of the food. The extra stuff put in foods like preservatives and artificial stuff probably could have an impact on getting an allergic reaction.聽

@TomsFocus yeah I'm kind of a bit wherry when cooking meat. Fish for example you can tell its cooked when it starts to get a solid colour. The problem I have with fish is the smell puts me off when I'm cutting it that I don't really enjoy eating it after. I do like to make burgers and have no problems making that and making my own combos. I pierce the meat to see if its soft.聽

• Like 1

Anti-inflammatories.....ironically, they make me swell up (my face and neck in particular)聽

On 8/26/2018 at 9:35 PM, iantt said:

Try B12 supplements. my other half now mixes seaweed powder in with her smoothies (doesn't taste too bad) and its helped her allergy.聽 Obviously, don't do this if its a sever reaction, hers would just make her feel ill rather than risking serious illness!

My dad been told to put a bit more B12 and some more stuff like Green veg which do him.

I have changed his Diet a bit with this included and Bran flakes on the morning (i have done the B vitamins and Iron) up a bit being told to just to help that bit.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club