Jump to content
Do Not Sell My Personal Information


Insurance for a new car


TomUK_
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hello all,

I've recently made the decision to part ways with my MK6 Fiesta Zetec S and upgrade slightly to a MK7.5 Fiesta Red Edition (on finance, I'm not that rich). I'm wondering if anyone can suggest cheap insurers? The costs for insuring my MK6 were absolutely ridiculous, even with a blackbox, so I'm hoping this one isn't the same. I'm 18 years old with 1 years no claims bonus.

 

I've ran a few quotes through comparison websites, mainly Compare the Market, and the cheapest quote for fully comp (without a blackbox) on the new car was just under £800 with Hastings Essentials. Compared to what I was paying previously, that's hugely cheap! Oh, and ideally I'd prefer not to have any form of telematics fitted again - can't stand them!

 

I'm a Premium Member and noticed that there's a club discount scheme through Adrian Flux? Is it worth contacting them? If anyone has any ideas or suggestions, please do share them with me. I don't want to be spending fortunes on insurance ideally.

 

Many thanks!

Link to comment
Share on other sites


At your age you're going to struggle getting cheap insurance on a red edition (Zetec S) due to the sportiness of it (140ps), even with 1 years NCD. 
Age, location (postcode), miles driven per year, where you park overnight, your occupation and how much voluntary excess you select will have a big impact on quotes as well as any extras such as breakdown, key cover etc. 
You could try Adrian Flux but you might end up with a quote much higher than you think, even with the FOC membership discount. 

To be fair, £800 without a black box fitted sounds really cheap for an 18 year old who has only been driving for just over a year.

I have the equivalent of the Zetec S (ST-Line 140) and have been driving for over 15 years on and off (even as a professional driver for major companies) and yet the insurance is still quite high (£500), even with 2yrs NCD. AF insurance quoted me almost double the price of most other insurers for an unmodified Fiesta so were not competitive. 
I found the more I put as voluntary excess, the cheaper the quote became (max £500). 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

At your age, Hastings probably will be the cheapest, it's very basic though, no windscreen cover etc.  They're also not good with mods if you are intending to modify the car in any way.  Admiral group (Admiral/Elephant/Bell/Diamond) used to be good for younger people, as long as you add a low-risk named driver or two, Mum, Aunt etc. 

It's also worth trying Aviva who aren't on comparison sites.  And maybe use a cashback sites (Topcashback/Quidco) to get a make it a bit cheaper still.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'd take the £800. You'd be lucky to get it much cheaper tbh. It won't really drop much more next year however. It sort of drops to sub £1000 after 2 years and doesn't go down significantly till you're 25 ish.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Nick Y said:

At your age you're going to struggle getting cheap insurance on a red edition (Zetec S) due to the sportiness of it (140ps), even with 1 years NCD. 
Age, location (postcode), miles driven per year, where you park overnight, your occupation and how much voluntary excess you select will have a big impact on quotes as well as any extras such as breakdown, key cover etc. 
You could try Adrian Flux but you might end up with a quote much higher than you think, even with the FOC membership discount. 

To be fair, £800 without a black box fitted sounds really cheap for an 18 year old who has only been driving for just over a year.

I have the equivalent of the Zetec S (ST-Line 140) and have been driving for over 15 years on and off (even as a professional driver for major companies) and yet the insurance is still quite high (£500), even with 2yrs NCD. AF insurance quoted me almost double the price of most other insurers for an unmodified Fiesta so were not competitive. 
I found the more I put as voluntary excess, the cheaper the quote became (max £500). 

Yeah, insurance for young drivers is always a killer. I'm going to give Adrian Flux a try nonetheless however Hastings look like the best option at the moment. I was expecting to be paying around this or just over, but was curious to see whether there was a way to lower the costs even more. Thank you!

 

5 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

At your age, Hastings probably will be the cheapest, it's very basic though, no windscreen cover etc.  They're also not good with mods if you are intending to modify the car in any way.  Admiral group (Admiral/Elephant/Bell/Diamond) used to be good for younger people, as long as you add a low-risk named driver or two, Mum, Aunt etc. 

It's also worth trying Aviva who aren't on comparison sites.  And maybe use a cashback sites (Topcashback/Quidco) to get a make it a bit cheaper still.

Done a few more quotes in the mean time and Hastings do seem the cheapest at the moment. I do intend to modify the car slowly so shopping around some more seems to be the idea. If Adrian Flux are competitive, then they'll be ideal.

 

5 hours ago, Luke4efc said:

I'd take the £800. You'd be lucky to get it much cheaper tbh. It won't really drop much more next year however. It sort of drops to sub £1000 after 2 years and doesn't go down significantly till you're 25 ish.

Was surprised to get that kind of price in the first place, was expecting a lot more! Will take that though reckon.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

£800 isn't bad to be honest. You could try calling Adrian flux and sky insurance for a quote. 

I'm 20 with a mk6.5 fiesta zetec s 1.6 TDCi and I'm paying around £960 with 3 years no claims. This is with legal cover and no black box. The quote you've gotten is really good considering you only have 1 years no claims compared to me 😂. Location really can affect insurance prices. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
On 10/28/2018 at 10:49 AM, zain611 said:

£800 isn't bad to be honest. You could try calling Adrian flux and sky insurance for a quote. 

I'm 20 with a mk6.5 fiesta zetec s 1.6 TDCi and I'm paying around £960 with 3 years no claims. This is with legal cover and no black box. The quote you've gotten is really good considering you only have 1 years no claims compared to me 😂. Location really can affect insurance prices. 

Ah mate tell me about it! I took it in the end, happy days.

 

On 10/28/2018 at 7:52 PM, DAN@ADRIAN FLUX said:

Hi.

Did you try ourselves for insurance at all? If you did how did we do?

Regards,

Dan.

Sorry for the delayed response. I did get in contact with Adrian Flux unfortunately you weren't competitive at all - even with the owners club discount which was a shame.

Will probably try again with you next year / later on.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/17/2018 at 10:41 PM, TomUK_ said:

Sorry for the delayed response. I did get in contact with Adrian Flux unfortunately you weren't competitive at all - even with the owners club discount which was a shame.

Will probably try again with you next year / later on.

That was my experience. I'm not even sure the owners club discount is even a thing lol. Maybe have to call up, get a quote and then say I'm with an owners club and see how much they knock off. Chances are the prices are just 15% higher (or whatever the discount is) than everywhere else.

Adrian Flux, Sky and Greenlight are more for experienced drivers with more modified cars that would otherwise struggle to get insured. That and they sponsor so many people that everyone believes they are the best for young driver insurance.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Flux used to specialise in young drivers, I was with them for my first year.  They've gone downhill since in my experience.  Also, every single car forum or Facebook group gets the 15% discount, it's not exclusive lol. 

I'm not really sure how they work out prices either, I asked about changing from a 2.0TDI Audi A3 to a 1.4TDI Polo earlier this year...expecting a considerable price drop being a smaller car, smaller engine etc...  No change in premium, and I'd have to pay the admin fee...  Right... :unsure:  Ended up cancelling, and found the cancellation fees to cost more than Admirals, I'm unlikely to run a second car again but if I do I'll go back with Admiral group after that experience.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share




×
×
  • Create New...

Forums


News


Membership