Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2011 Galaxy stiff steering on first start

steviec2000

Hi, I've just purchased a 2011 Galaxy 2.0 diesel with 200k miles used.

Didn't notice on the test drive, but when the car has been left over night, when you drive the next morning the steering is extremely stiff to turn, when you move the wheel can feel resistance. This lasts for about 3 mins, to which this goes away.

Also noticed that in normal driving, the steering can at a time feel twitchy on occasion.

Any guidance or experience on this please. The wife is starting to lose confidence in the car already and only had it a week ...

I don't know much about the power steering but have you checked the basics such as fluid level and tyre pressures?

With regards to the twitchyness (spelling?), what tyres are fitted to the car? are they the same or a mix of different brands or types? A mixture of brands can cause weird handling issues. I recently saw a car with 3 summer tyres and 1 winter tyre...hmm.

It might be more likely that the rear trailing arm bushes are worn and need replacing. I do more B road driving and the bushes went on my car (2011 Mondeo) last December at approx 80k miles, others of same year changed theirs at 120k miles, but they do more motorway miles. When they went, when cornering, it felt like the car was under steering at first and then as I turned further in to the bend/corner it would change to an over steering feel...it did feel really weird and I thought it was the new Continental winter tyres that I'd had fitted on the front as opposed to the worn Nokian winter tyres on the rear. As I  had checked the condition of the bushes (seemed ok)  when I fitted the winter wheels/tyres I didn't realise it was the bushes until I checked again in March before the MOT. They passed the MOT but the rear tyres were worn quite unevenly due to the bushes.  I managed to change them myself in May, which by then the car was back on worn Summer tyres, which I didn't replace until the bushes and wheel alignment were done. I had the additional task of changing the top mounts and bearings on the front of the car too, so I decided to change the shocks all round at the same time too. All good after that.

I use the same tyres all round (Michelin summers) and the worn Nokian winter tyres were replaced recently with Continentals to match the front, though not fitted to the car yet.

Thanks. I've got 4 Michelin's on the car, all with between 5 and 6mm, pressures are all fine. I've also checked the fluid level which is also fine.

Driving it yesterday I had a purpose drive to check out the issues.

When cold the steering is stiff , but after about 3 mins get looser BUT also noticed there is a sticking point when just about to turn the wheel right from centre (not all the way right say turning the wheel between 1 and 2 o'clock). At this point it's very stiff and I have to force it and it overcomes the resistance but then returns when I turn the wheel back the other way. This continued for a good 25 mins. Then on my return journey (warmer temperature outside of that makes a difference), driving home after 10 mins this resistance had gone.

Hope someone has an idea what this is?

Sounds like the steering rack or power steering pump is faulty

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club