Do Not Sell My Personal Information

EGR blanking & EGR clamp question.

BP2411

Hello everyone, as per my previous thread my car (2009 1.4tdci) went into limp mode yesterday, was told it could be the EGR valve needing cleaning, removed it & cleaned it but can't for the life of me refit the clamp, none of the YouTube videos mention special tools or it being hard to do but it's an absolute nightmare, has anyone done this job before?

Also when searching for advice EGR blanking came up alot, has anyone done this? What's the benefits / downside to it?

Please help!

The biggest downside is your car will immediately fail it's next MOT 😊.

6 minutes ago, Luke4efc said:

The biggest downside is your car will immediately fail it's next MOT 😊.

Well F that then, don't ever want to mess around with the egr on this car again. Looks like I need a set clic-r clamp pliers, £20 and I bet I'll never use it again.

3 hours ago, BP2411 said:

Well F that then, don't ever want to mess around with the egr on this car again. Looks like I need a set clic-r clamp pliers, £20 and I bet I'll never use it again.

I'm not entirely familiar with the EGR on these diesels so not sure about the clamp you're on about. Only time I've come across a clic-r clamp was on an intake pipe. Found it a bit fiddly so replaced with a jubilee clip.

I read somewhere ford had replaced them with a different type of clamp that you tighten with an Allen key but unable to verify this, hopefully someone who has access to the parts list will see this thread.  I don't think a jubilee clip will work in this case as the original clamp has sides on it, if that makes sense lol

Did you remove the fault code to see if it might come back again? My 1.6 TDCI fiesta I have I used to only drive it from the driveway to the garage for the first 2 months whilst I was waiting for my insurance renewal of my previous car to finish. One point the EML came on and came up with a code to do with the EGR. Removed the fault code and it hadn't come up since. Strangely no engine light has come on since blanking it. 

Those clips are hard to take off and put on (if that's the same one that's located on my turbo cat pipe. What my dad did was place a screw through the holes and put a nut between it. He'd then move the nuts which then holds the clamp in place. Better than using two screwdrivers to pull them off. 

Also took my car for MOT last month and passed with no say about EGR or emissions thankfully. Only advisory was about a tire near its tread limit. 

Mine is all back together now but it won't start, assume it's to do with the fuel filter being removed.

36 minutes ago, BP2411 said:

Mine is all back together now but it won't start, assume it's to do with the fuel filter being removed.

Yeah most likely the fuel filter being disconnected. You could try pumping a little bit of diesel in to it to help. My dad used some sort of hand pump when he changed mine. 

By removing the fuel filter you've introduced air into the fuel lines. Just needs bleeding that's all.

What's the easiest way of doing that? Fuel straight into the filter?

Does the Mk7 1.4 not have a built in hand primer?  I know the mk6 1.4 did, just the 1.6 that didn't on those.

6 minutes ago, BP2411 said:

If it does it's hiding well.

Lol.  Ok, well buying a hand primer will be the most effective solution...  You can try filling the filter or tow starting if that's not an option.

Tried filling the filter, nothing. Might just throw the towel in and use the rest of the fuel to torch the thing lol.

You can try easy start, but it'll most likely just run on the easy start for a few seconds and then die.  It's not great for the pump either.

Hand primer really is the way to go tbh.  Towing will work as a last resort though.

Do you have a link for a hand primer? Just so I know what I'm looking for.

That's very similar to what I've been using to get fuel into the filter so I'll try it to pull fuel through instead.

• Like 1

No luck trying to suck the fuel through, how does towing work? Last resort before I pay for breakdown cover.

I'm going to see if my local garage can lend me something tomorrow, after paying £20 for the clic-r pliers I'd rather not pay for another tool.

When you tow the car in gear, the wheels turn the engine over, which in turn spins the HP pump forcing the fuel through.

• Thanks 1

I'll call in the garage tomorrow see if they have anything I can use, if not I'll buy easy start and if that doesn't work I'll tow it. 

Just called in the garage, they don't have a primer they normally tow them to start so looks like it's another trip to Halfords. Do I just connect the hose to the outlet on the filter and pump til fuel comes through?