Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Gearbox oil

F0CUE

How is the gearbox oil filled in the 1.6 sigma/duratec? It's due to the selector seal having a leak I'm not even sure how much is in there as it's not very specific. I have seen a guide at changing the seal will all the oil empty out when changing it?

I think it's the IB5 on the 1.6 petrol Mk2?  If so, the filler plug is just above the selector still within the plastic box, 8mm hex/allan bit needed.  The oil will (should!) leak out when you remove the seal unless it's already come out lol.

When you fill the gearbox, just do it until the oil starts dribbling back out of the filler hole.

• Like 1

Thanks there is definitely oil slowly coming out of there and now you say the plug is in there I'm wondering if the plug seal may be leaking it could save the hassle of dismantling the selector here is hoping.

On ‎11‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 1:15 PM, TomsFocus said:

When you fill the gearbox, just do it until the oil starts dribbling back out of the filler hole.

crikey, that's a way to encourage over filling on things ....     just do it until the oil starts dribbling back out of the level hole

16 minutes ago, Botus said:

crikey, that's a way to encourage over filling on things ....     just do it until the oil starts dribbling back out of the level hole

It's the same hole...

yes of course, but commonly referred to as level hole....

if someone on another box has a filler hole one on the top, the advice suggests to brim to the top

1 hour ago, Botus said:

yes of course, but commonly referred to as level hole....

if someone on another box has a filler hole one on the top, the advice suggests to brim to the top

The advice would suggest they shouldn’t be touching things they don’t know about :lol: 

but as above @F0CUE, fill until oil dribbles out. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club