OllieEdge

Focus 1.0 Ecoboost Transmission problems (Auto)

Hi all, has any experienced problems with the "revamped" Ecoboost 1.0 engine with an auto transmission?

I've previously owned a Mk3 automatic focus (2012) 1.6 ecoboost it experience a number of transmission problems - the usual things that everyone already knows about - jerkiness, unable to decide on a gear, clunks etc. It went back to Bristol Street Motors on 6 separate occasions to get "fixed". It never got fixed so I sold it back to them and went with a different make vehicle.

In November I went to the dealer and decided on buying a 2nd hand Focus Estate Auto 1.0 EcoBoost (66 Plate), it has 1 previous disabled owner, and had done 2,000 miles. I explicitly asked if this model had any problems regarding transmission, to which the dealer recognised the old 1.6 EcoBoost had issues and said that this has been "totally overhauled" and he hasn't heard of any problems with the new ecoboost / mapping / transmission etc. Obviously that's what he is paid to say regardless - but it was worth a try right?

2 weeks into driving I was in a 30 speed limit, driving smoothly neither accelerating or decelerating and then all of a sudden MASSIVE CLUNK, the car jerks forward, stops then continues on as if nothing happened. I thought -- maybe it was a one-off I'll leave it.

2 months in and the same thing happens again. Exactly the same thing, same speed limit etc.

After a third time I decided to call the dealer and start a process that I know is going to be super long winded.

3 separate mechanics drove the vehicle whilst they had it, I even drove one of them around the block as they wanted to see how I drove (I suspect), honestly, I'm not aggressive with the throttle and I don't speed away from the lights or anything like that, I tend to be a tad faster than the crowd - but nothing exciting. Anyway - nothing happened.

They said "updated the PCM", as that was the only thing that needed doing, there wasn't any logs they could find.

I had it back one day and now GRINDING! In what I feel is the same scenario, the transmission now randomly grinds the gears and there is no forward drive. Luckily I caught it on my dash camera, I sent it to the Service Manager to look at.

The service manager said he is going to come and recover the vehicle later today and give me a courtesy car.

My question to you all: What do you think I should do? Is there something I can say? To be honest all I want to do it just get rid of it and get a different car.

Iv'e just bought the new Mk4 ecoboost 1 litre with the new 8 speed automatic gearbox, only just done over a hundred miles yet but I must say i am very pleased with it.

4 hours ago, OllieEdge said:

Hi all, has any experienced problems with the "revamped" Ecoboost 1.0 engine with an auto transmission?

I've previously owned a Mk3 automatic focus (2012) 1.6 ecoboost it experience a number of transmission problems - the usual things that everyone already knows about - jerkiness, unable to decide on a gear, clunks etc. It went back to Bristol Street Motors on 6 separate occasions to get "fixed". It never got fixed so I sold it back to them and went with a different make vehicle.

In November I went to the dealer and decided on buying a 2nd hand Focus Estate Auto 1.0 EcoBoost (66 Plate), it has 1 previous disabled owner, and had done 2,000 miles. I explicitly asked if this model had any problems regarding transmission, to which the dealer recognised the old 1.6 EcoBoost had issues and said that this has been "totally overhauled" and he hasn't heard of any problems with the new ecoboost / mapping / transmission etc. Obviously that's what he is paid to say regardless - but it was worth a try right?

2 weeks into driving I was in a 30 speed limit, driving smoothly neither accelerating or decelerating and then all of a sudden MASSIVE CLUNK, the car jerks forward, stops then continues on as if nothing happened. I thought -- maybe it was a one-off I'll leave it.

2 months in and the same thing happens again. Exactly the same thing, same speed limit etc.

After a third time I decided to call the dealer and start a process that I know is going to be super long winded.

3 separate mechanics drove the vehicle whilst they had it, I even drove one of them around the block as they wanted to see how I drove (I suspect), honestly, I'm not aggressive with the throttle and I don't speed away from the lights or anything like that, I tend to be a tad faster than the crowd - but nothing exciting. Anyway - nothing happened.

They said "updated the PCM", as that was the only thing that needed doing, there wasn't any logs they could find.

I had it back one day and now GRINDING! In what I feel is the same scenario, the transmission now randomly grinds the gears and there is no forward drive. Luckily I caught it on my dash camera, I sent it to the Service Manager to look at.

The service manager said he is going to come and recover the vehicle later today and give me a courtesy car.

My question to you all: What do you think I should do? Is there something I can say? To be honest all I want to do it just get rid of it and get a different car.

I'm supprised you decided to buy another powershit transmission focus. There no better really than the older ones. 

2 hours ago, iantt said:

I'm supprised you decided to buy another powershit transmission focus. There no better really than the older ones. 

So am iantt, so am I.

Also, I got the courtesy car this evening from Bristol Street, it’s a manual fiesta, stinks of cannabis, filthy inside even the driver door handle is falling off! Very surprised.

On 2/8/2019 at 6:53 PM, iantt said:

It's not a Powershift at this model year it is a conventional torque converter auto. 6F35 gearbox.

You need to ask Ford to reset the transmission adaptive learning settings as they will still be set for the original driver.

It will then be a bit harsh for a couple of hundred miles but then will settle into YOUR driving style.

Or you can get FORSCAN and a lead and reset it your self.

We have an ST-Line 1.0 Auto, it's not brilliant TBH but it's not as bad as the Powershift box

4 hours ago, DaveT70 said:

It's not a Powershift at this model year it is a conventional torque converter auto. 6F35 gearbox.

You need to ask Ford to reset the transmission adaptive learning settings as they will still be set for the original driver.

It will then be a bit harsh for a couple of hundred miles but then will settle into YOUR driving style.

Or you can get FORSCAN and a lead and reset it your self.

We have an ST-Line 1.0 Auto, it's not brilliant TBH but it's not as bad as the Powershift box

Yeah , your right , later focus did indeed have a proper auto. The 6f35 is for the 1.5 ecoboost I believe. The 6f15 is for the 1.0 ecoboost. Essentially the same box type. 

20 hours ago, iantt said:

Yeah , your right , later focus did indeed have a proper auto. The 6f35 is for the 1.5 ecoboost I believe. The 6f15 is for the 1.0 ecoboost. Essentially the same box type. 

I stand corrected, said the man in the orthopaedic shoes. Thanks