Tekman

Instrument Cluster Light Change

Recommended Posts

Hi I am new to this I have a Mk2 pre,facelift,  I want to change colour of light on instrument cluster they are pale green 

I have already fitted Lockwood dials silver but I don`t like green colour lights,

Any help appreciated 

 

Cheers 

Alan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Would be a soldering job I'm afraid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Mate

Has anyone done it or is there a how to guide for doing 

 

Cheers

Alan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is indeed a tutorial for it. Have you desoldered and resoldered SMDs before? If not, I would suggest practicing elsewhere before trying on the cluster, as messing it up will be VERY costly, and will make your car a paperweight until fixed. I am in the process of doing the same as you, however since I'm not experienced with soldering SMDs I practiced on other lit up components first. Window switches, headlight switches, heated window buttons, heater control dials etc. I've managed all of them successfully but am still wary of touching the instrument panel. Here is the guide anyhow, do not hesitate to ask for more info, especially regarding dismantling things to get the circuit boards as it was a recent job and still fresh in my mind.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Mate this brilliant cheers

I got hold of cheap instrument cluster to play with so I like you can practice on. I agree so tiny I bought a head set magnify glasses to help see better. 

I did have to search for a good soldering iron with fine tip, wow what a difference the blue makes to dials, Was thinking of bright white on dials then blue on rest but now seeing blue I think blue all round  you have now given me confidence to start changing them 

once again mate thank you

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I also like the blue as mines are orange and don't match the blue of the stereo I have the dials blue (aftermarket). Are the heating control bulbs very small to change too?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Tekman said:

Hi Mate this brilliant cheers

I got hold of cheap instrument cluster to play with so I like you can practice on. I agree so tiny I bought a head set magnify glasses to help see better. 

I did have to search for a good soldering iron with fine tip, wow what a difference the blue makes to dials, Was thinking of bright white on dials then blue on rest but now seeing blue I think blue all round  you have now given me confidence to start changing them 

once again mate thank you

Just remember LEDs are polarity sensitive so if you solder one in the wrong way round you'll have to desolder it and redo it.  (it's pretty easy to forget and get them the wrong way round).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cheers mate

Question is on the led a mark to say which way or do you have to guess and hope for best

 

Well just ordered 40 smd`s from crazyleds a few just in case lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Tekman said:

Cheers mate

Question is on the led a mark to say which way or do you have to guess and hope for best

 

 

They don't usually have any markings but if you've got an appropriate power source you can easily test them (think battery with a wire connected to the positive terminal and one from the negative and connect the wires to appropriate parts of the LED unit.  If it doesn't work, swap the wires round and assuming it then works you've found your positive and negatives).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cheers Damian 

Will do, I have spare battery 

not worked with leds before so will be interesting but now I have the guide it looks pretty straight forward so will print it off to help

You Just gave me idea just made a test pad with bit of wood and couple of nails and crock clips so I can touch  led on to find out which way they go. I have taken a couple of old clocks to try. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, 1979Damian said:

They don't usually have any markings but if you've got an appropriate power source you can easily test them (think battery with a wire connected to the positive terminal and one from the negative and connect the wires to appropriate parts of the LED unit.  If it doesn't work, swap the wires round and assuming it then works you've found your positive and negatives).

Surely yo will need a resistor in the circuit?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Paul 

So I take it you can swap the leds on the board but you cannot put the led straight to 12v to check which way they go without a resistor , 

so looks like more practise with old board till I get it right 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Alan,

You don't need any resistors, it's just old ones out new ones in. These are the LEDs you need (you can buy them elsewhere, but I've had nothing but good experiences with these guys and the prices are good). Also the LEDs from these guys have markers to tell you which way they go (green arrow on the bottom points to the negative). Further, you will need to test the polarity of the leds before they come out, as after they come out, it's a guessing game. To find out, use a multimeter on diode test mode, poke the terminals on the sides of the LEDs, when it lights up (it will be VERY dim) or the meter beeps, you've found the correct polarity. Thenyou can mark the positive side (on the circuit board itself, with a marker for example). I also found that for LEDs near the edge of the board, with no other components in the way, it's a lot easier to just cut them off with a stanley, or craft knife.

Any more help needed, I'm just a message away 🙂

Michael.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cheers Michael

Thank you, I was looking at the image from crazy leds  which shows  the red and blue but will do the check with multimeter has you said just to make sure its a slow and steady sunday job for me if they arrive in time.

once again thank you to you for help really do appreciate it

cheers

Alan

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i found getting the old leds off is with 2 soldering irons one either side and lift. when you look at the leds they have a look to them(best way i can explain it lol )

just make sure they look the same way the old ones are i done mine ages ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

will do John cheers

I watched a video on removing smd`s with standard soldering  iron lol they made it look so easy lol

I will give that a try on spare clocks I have practised on 

cheers 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

YAY Clocks done I have taken some before and when dark will take some after but wow what a difference and I can say if I can do it anyone can do it. I suffer severe tremors so holding soldering iron still well lol.

I will say A VERY BIG THANK YOU TO ALL for your support and advise.

John you was right regarding the look of them but did notice there is a corner off the negative side and the board does have direction markers very easy to follow.

All I got to do is set the dials have done petrol and speedo but will run car tommorow to set temp and rev counter but will say WOW 

 

Cheers 

Alan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tekman said:

YAY Clocks done I have taken some before and when dark will take some after but wow what a difference and I can say if I can do it anyone can do it. I suffer severe tremors so holding soldering iron still well lol.

I will say A VERY BIG THANK YOU TO ALL for your support and advise.

John you was right regarding the look of them but did notice there is a corner off the negative side and the board does have direction markers very easy to follow.

All I got to do is set the dials have done petrol and speedo but will run car tommorow to set temp and rev counter but will say WOW 

 

Cheers 

Alan

well done good job. thats what i ment but couldnt remember what they look like havnt dont any for a while

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi John

Yes has soon has a looked at them I knew what you meant, 

Thank you for your assistance my next job window switch`s, heater controls 

out of curiosity which section do can I put my car and mods and jobs I am doing

 

cheers

Alan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Tekman said:

Hi John

Yes has soon has a looked at them I knew what you meant, 

Thank you for your assistance my next job window switch`s, heater controls 

out of curiosity which section do can I put my car and mods and jobs I am doing

 

cheers

Alan

Nice job let me know how hard the heater controls are.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Ian

 they are easy to get to Remove radio then surround, take knobs off , unclip front of heater control small clips around edge, then just pop circuit board off,

I did all leds exept top two which light orange when on for air recycle and air con, I just had to remember which way they came off with notch has earth new ones where notched too , then took it to car just put it on and tested before I built everything back on but look great a lot better will put pics on shortly

the two top ones circled are the ones I left orange the other 7 I changed has you can see with close up the notch a big help from crazy leds cheers

cheers 

Alan

circuit board circle 1.jpg

circuit board circle.jpg

led up close_LI.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Tekman said:

Job So far , Just need to fig out how to get auto gear selector surround out to get to leds then switch`s ,  already done led`s in roof light`s 

20190317_184303.jpg

That looks ***** awesome 😮

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.