Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Boot not opening (possible relay?)

zain611

So not long ago I noticed when I pressed the boot release button I can't open the boot but it worked with the key. Now doesn't open at all. When I press the bottom on both key and interior I hear the boot latch move but it sounds very slow but does not release the boot. Any thoughts? My dad believes it might be the relay as my grans mk5 fiesta and dad's friends ka had the same issue and it was fixed by changing the relay. 

Would like to know if anyone knows where the relay is?

Most likely the solenoid.  If you can find my ST150 thread from about 3 years ago there should be location pics in there.  It's just behind the inner tailgate panel though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Most likely the solenoid.  If you can find my ST150 thread from about 3 years ago there should be location pics in there.  It's just behind the inner tailgate panel though.

What part of the forum did do this thread? Would be interesting to see and hopefully it's not a hard fix. 

@TomsFocus I think I found the thread. Is it the 'boot popper' which you referred it as?

1 hour ago, zain611 said:

@TomsFocus I think I found the thread. Is it the 'boot popper' which you referred it as?

It looks like I actually called it a 'bot' popper :laugh:  But yes that's it. :smile: 

• Like 1

Thanks Tom 👍. Just have to see though what I have to get. It's funny a few electronics have gone. The window motor, passenger side window switch and now the boot solenoid / relay. 

Am actually interested to read the rest of you build thread. 

32 minutes ago, zain611 said:

Thanks Tom 👍. Just have to see though what I have to get. It's funny a few electronics have gone. The window motor, passenger side window switch and now the boot solenoid / relay. 

Am actually interested to read the rest of you build thread. 

It wasn't much of a build thread tbh, only had it about 3 months! :laugh:

I've had to replace a few of these boot solenoids over the years, around £5 from a scrap yard back then.  Looks like you can buy new pattern parts for a tenner on eBay though.

eBay number - 143137151131

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TomsFocus said:

It wasn't much of a build thread tbh, only had it about 3 months! :laugh:

I've had to replace a few of these boot solenoids over the years, around £5 from a scrap yard back then.  Looks like you can buy new pattern parts for a tenner on eBay though.

eBay number - 143137151131

Will have a look. Thanks for that 👍. Can I just confirm with you what symptoms you had? With mine whenever I try to unlock the boot, I can hear the release mechanism move very slowly then it normally would but won't open. 

12 hours ago, zain611 said:

Will have a look. Thanks for that 👍. Can I just confirm with you what symptoms you had? With mine whenever I try to unlock the boot, I can hear the release mechanism move very slowly then it normally would but won't open. 

Yeah that's it, the solenoid just gets weak over time...you can hear it trying and 'groaning' but it just hasn't got the strength to pull the boot release.  Should be the same effect with either the keyfob or the dashboard button but will open fine using the keyblade in the boot barrel.

11 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Yeah that's it, the solenoid just gets weak over time...you can hear it trying and 'groaning' but it just hasn't got the strength to pull the boot release.  Should be the same effect with either the keyfob or the dashboard button but will open fine using the keyblade in the boot barrel.

Yeah exactly that and just checked using the key and I was able to open it (not remotely). My dad still wants to check the voltage going to the mechanism before looking at ordering the solenoid. Can also get a window motor also as I'm starting to hate the window slowly going down and having to slide it up by hand. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

@TomsFocus ordered that solenoid 👍. Also bought a window motor and passenger window switch. Does the mk7 fiestas come with the same window motor? 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, zain611 said:

Does the mk7 fiestas come with the same window motor? 

Nope.

31 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Nope.

When the boot solenoid arrives I'll show you the date of the motor. Looks exactly the same as the broken one. It's been several days since its said its been dispatched. Want to get all these bits done in one day so just waiting for that. 

New one I bought from a breakers. DSC_0091.thumb.JPG.0160c458e6bb46255d419199650880dc.JPG

• Like 1

@TomsFocus just came home and it arrived 😂. Would you say it looks right? Just asking so I don't go through the trouble of opening things up and finding it doesn't fit. 

DSC_0107.JPG

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, zain611 said:

@TomsFocus just came home and it arrived 😂. Would you say it looks right? Just asking so I don't go through the trouble of opening things up and finding it doesn't fit. 

DSC_0107.JPG

Yeah, it looks right! :biggrin: 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Yeah, it looks right! :biggrin: 

That's great, will update you and this topic when I come to do it. Will hopefully fix the window motor which really has annoyed me as the window would slowly go down. 

So changed the solenoid today and now works 😊. Actually sounds to work a lot better than the time I bought the car. The old ones spring was a lot harder to compress compared to the new one. 

New (left) next to old (right) 

DSC_0116.JPG

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club