BlindXX

Bonnet latch problem, but not the normal one!

Hi people. I'm a new member here, posting out of desperation. I've had a problem with the bonnet not opening (mk2.5). I used the forum a lot and read about the typical issue of the cross bar coming out of the mechanism, but this is not the issue for me. Initially, pressing on the bonnet area above the latch seemed to work, then that too stopped. The mechanism won't "pop" the bonnet, and will not release the bonnet on the second twist. I have replaced the mechanism itself, along with the cross shaped bar, and on the occasions when I can open the bonnet, when I turn the key in the bonnet lock I can see the parts moving. Its almost as if its just not turning enough to move the components enough to actually release or pop the bonnet. Hope this makes sense. Any advice is much appeciated! Thanks

Given that you've replaced the lock mechanism and you still have the same problem maybe the issue is with the bonnet itself. Is the bonnet catch lining up properly or damaged?

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

Good point, didn't think of that. I don't think it is damaged. It worked fine for about 9 months (it's a 1.8 duratec and drinks a bit of oil so I would open the bonnet quite regularly). Never had  a knock in it or done anything obvious to change the status quo. Unless the bonnet has just shifted alignment, but I have no idea how to check that. I'm not much of a car lover, I can manage the basics but get lost as soon as things get too technical! Also, tried greasing the latch and mechanism, but made no difference.