Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Buying a used Fiesta

foggydewhurst

Hello, I am looking to buy a used Fiesta ( 2017 )with at least a years warranty left.I have been looking online at Zetecs 1.25 and 1.1.

The difference in price seems to be around £1000. I like the look of the sync 3 on the 1.1's but I don't like the idea of stop/start function.

I average about 5000 miles a year mostly around town and mainly want a reliable car that will last me a decade or more.

Is there  much of a difference between the cars that warrants the price difference.

Thanks in advance

The 1.25 is very old - and now dropped from the range - have you looked at the 1ltr Ecoboost you should test drive them and see the difference -

Start Stop is standard on most cars now - you can turn it off as you start the engine

• Like 1

i don't like the stop/start. Yes you can turn it off, but on mine (I assume others also) I have to turn it off each journey, it does not stay off forever. It's just a button on the dashboard on mine so easy to do. If you had to go through a menu on the screen it would be somewhat more annoying. I don't think this point should be significant in which car you buy.

If reliability/lower tech is your priority - which I can understand -  then the 1.25 is probably a better bet as it is an old tech tried and tested for donkey years reliable engine. Not sure when that engine was first used, maybe about 2000?

But if you test drove both I doubt you would buy the 1.25 as you will feel the difference.

If I was buying for me I wouldn't buy the 1.25 due to it's comparitive lack of performance but if I was buying for my wife I would buy the 1.25 as she would not appreciate the difference so I would save the money and have the potentially more reliable long lasting car.

• Like 1

Fuel economy is much better on the 1.0 ecoboost town driving archives 320 miles a tank from the 1.25 Vs 400 from the 1.0 ecoboost also performance is much better from the ecoboost having owned both I wouldn't go back to the 1.25. 

In regards to stop start it's so refined on the ecoboost you don't notice it. Unlike the 2.0 desiel I also drive that shakes the whole car as it stop starts.  

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, cjay1 said:

Fuel economy is much better on the 1.0 ecoboost

We didn't find much difference tbh. Had a 1.25 (82) and now have an ecoboost (140) and got around the same  (mid 40's)  mpg from both in normal use.The ecoboost has returned over 50 on a gentle touring holiday though, while the 1.25 never got over 47 or so.

Ecoboost is a nicer (and quicker) drive, but as @isetta says, less to go wrong with a 1.25 which we still found pretty good fun. You pays your money..........

• Like 1

I have a 2014 1.0 ecoboost 125 having previously had a 2011 1.2 (70bhp) skoda fabia and find the ecoboost qucker, more refined and when the start/stop kicks in after being used it comes in very smooth.

the one thing about ecoboost engines are they are not as economical as the figures suggest. mines averaging 31.4mpg and i think the fabia was averaging 40mpg over the same distance.

as others have said you can turn off start/stop but you have to do it everytime you start it up even if you stall it. i love my fiesta apart from its fuel economy, a friend of mine has a kuga ecoboost awd auto and he likes his but not the fuel economy (26.4mpg currently over 2 years and 3700 miles).

i hope this gives you some comparison between a 1.25/1.1 or an ecoboost because i was in the same position have had a 1.2 fabia and now an ecoboost

thanks

• Like 1

with regards to fuel economy, the figures will vary wildly based on how it's driven you can have eco or boost but you can't have both you must pick 1 give it the beans constantly and knock up to 50%off the official figures.  drive economically and although difficult it is possible to achieve the official figures.

• Like 1

This is the best I've managed so far:

mpg.jpg

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Tiexen said:

This is the best I've managed so far:

mpg.jpg

That looks similar to mine. 

I've just got home from a 350 mile round trip to exotic Stansted and I got 58mpg from my 2017 125 1.0 Ecoboost driven at 70mph +/-.  Round town I'm seeing a 6 month average of 42ish.

Very happy with those numbers. 

• Like 1

On 5/8/2019 at 11:25 AM, foggydewhurst said:

Hello, I am looking to buy a used Fiesta ( 2017 )with at least a years warranty left.I have been looking online at Zetecs 1.25 and 1.1.

The difference in price seems to be around £1000. I like the look of the sync 3 on the 1.1's but I don't like the idea of stop/start function.

I average about 5000 miles a year mostly around town and mainly want a reliable car that will last me a decade or more.

Is there  much of a difference between the cars that warrants the price difference.

Thanks in advance

The price difference will be because the 1.1 is the current mk8 model whereas the 1.25s were the previous generation. The 4 cylinder 1.25 engine was replaced by a 3 cylinder 1.1.

As others have said, start/stop can be switched off although for me once I got used to it I actually quite like it.

Having upgraded from a 2014 1.25 Zetec to a 2017 1.1 Zetec myself, it’s definitely a massive improvement.

I am currently getting around 47-49mpg.

After test driving both a mk8 1.0 100 and 1.1 85, I actually chose the 1.1 over the 1.0 Ecoboost as the engine feels more engaging to drive whereas the 1.0 has no engine noise when you accelerate. On dual carriageways I can easily keep up with 140hp st-lines when I put my foot down.

Also, as you’re wanting to keep it for a decade the 1.1 engine will be more reliable as the 1.0 has been notorious for blowing up in the past.

Hope this helps

• Like 1

Thanks very much for all the answers it is very much appreciated. Went for a test drive this morning in a 1.1 zetec and was  over the moon. What a lovely ride. Going back to pick it up on Wednesday, hooray.

Thanks again

• Like 2

Thanks very much for all the answers it is very much appreciated. Went for a test drive this morning in a 1.1 zetec and was  over the moon. What a lovely ride. Going back to pick it up on Wednesday, hooray.

Thanks again

Funnily enough, I had a 1.1 loan car while my old car was having some warranty work done. I ended up getting a 1.0 140 Vignale. Enjoy your new car!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club