Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Engine noise

Ferrylad

Hello I’m new here, I have a 2009 1.6tdci  focus and i was driving one day and just out of nowhere the engine started rattling and oil light flashed a few times I pulled over straight away. Got the car trailered home and she’s been sitting for a week and there is plenty of oil in it, starts no problem but when I rave her the knocking gets bad, has anyone ever had this problem, 

44 minutes ago, Ferrylad said:

2009 1.6tdci  focus and i was driving one day and just out of nowhere the engine started rattling and oil light flashed a few times I pulled over straight away. Got the car trailered home and she’s been sitting for a week and there is plenty of oil in it, starts no problem but when I rave her the knocking gets bad

Sounds like a blocked oilway (maybe the pickup tube) or failed oilpump to me. The 1.6TDCI is a bit notorious for carbon deposits building up in the engine, that can block oilways. If it was just the oil light I would say replace the sensor, but a combination of noise and oil light is fairly strong evidence. If it is just a blocked pickup tube, then a repair would not be too crippling, but I would want to see if there were signs of bad carbon build-up before paying out for a new pump or other parts.

oil light is now off her, idles ok but once I rave it knocking sound starts it’s a strange one 

4 hours ago, Ferrylad said:

Oil light is now off her, idles ok but once I rave it knocking sound starts it’s a strange one 

With cold oil, just enough may be getting through to trip the pressure sensor. Heating up a diesel by idling would take a very long time, with danger of engine damage if no oil is getting to the camshaft area.

Have a listen with the oil filler cap off, see if you can detect if the knocking is top or bottom of the engine. If rev dependant, it is more likely to be the bottom, the crankshaft bearings.

Don't rev it too much, the turbo may not be getting any oil either.

Oil filter is another possible cause, but they rarely block up if changed within the usual period. Though many people recommend oil & filter changes at 6 month, 6k miles, intervals on these Mk2/2a 1.6TDCIs.

It should be possible to remove the sump with the engine in the car, and to be able to check the strainer and oil pick-up, and even replace the oil pump. It will also be some guide as to whether there are severe carbon build up problems in there, or it is just a one off.

Noise is definitely at top of the engine, I’ll get a listen to it with oil cap off tomorrow and get back to you 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Engine is goosed need to get a new one 😩😂

• Sad 1

€1200 gona set me back not sure if she’s worth it 😂

12 hours ago, Ferrylad said:

€1200 gona set me back not sure if she’s worth it 😂

No...you could buy another whole Mk2 for that lol. 

On a serious note though, I wouldn't risk a second hand 1.6TDCi engine, you have no way of knowing how much carbon is stuck inside already.

• Like 1

Bought a new engine today out of a smashed focus it was the last of them models 65thou miles on it, from a guy that breaks only fords

A14331D4-7B84-4D55-B911-32D617DE0282.jpeg

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club