Do Not Sell My Personal Information

No start after injector clean up.

Andy Ward
聽Share

Hi.

I have a 1.6 Focus TDCi.

Two of the injector seals had gone quite some time ago and I finally got round to cleaning up the mess, in the process one got stuck and had to be removed with a slide hammer attached to the injector core after removing it's head.聽 I replaced this with one off eBay. I also cleaned out the intake manifold (so clogged up) and the rocker cover had carbon on the outside to i cleaned that also.

I had a bit of a mare when the reamer tool head I was using came off in the injector hole, I had to use a cold weld glue on the end of the rod to get it back out 馃檪

I put it all back together - manifold back on with new seals, new rubber seals put on the injector holes (quite hard to get in evenly, new spacer on top of them, fuel injectors back in (lubed liberally with wd40), held the copper washer on the bottom with a splodge of copper grease whilst inserting, turbo pipe back on. I then primed and bled the fuel back up to the fuel filter using a manual pump on the filter out tube, and also primed through the injectors (I think this is what you're supposed to do) by connecting the manual pump to the off pipe after the injectors.

Charged up the battery, all the above took me a couple of weeks a little bit each night, biggest thing I've ever done.

It's cranking but not igniting, no coughing or spluttering with crud or extra stuff in the mix so not sure where I go from here.

I put a simple OBD2 app on my phone and the fuel rail graph goes up, but I'm not sure f that means fuel is getting to the injectors...

Don't know what else to check...

How do I know fuel is getting in from the high pressure rail? I ddn't alter it but had to move it up a little in removing the manifold...

The glow plugs should all be ok as untouched and were working perfectly before (also no fault code coming up on ignition)

Any suggestions would be gratefully received... am about o throw in the towel and call a mechanic, but I started this as I have no money.

I followed the "All things Jim" YouTube video on seal replacement by the way...

I've attached some photos of the crud in the manifold for your amusement

crud1.jpg

crud2.jpg

crud3.jpg

engine1.jpg

3 hours ago, Andy Ward said:

Hi.

I have a 1.6 Focus TDCi.

Two of the injector seals had gone quite some time ago and I finally got round to cleaning up the mess, in the process one got stuck and had to be removed with a slide hammer attached to the injector core after removing it's head.聽 I replaced this with one off eBay. I also cleaned out the intake manifold (so clogged up) and the rocker cover had carbon on the outside to i cleaned that also.

I had a bit of a mare when the reamer tool head I was using came off in the injector hole, I had to use a cold weld glue on the end of the rod to get it back out 馃檪

I put it all back together - manifold back on with new seals, new rubber seals put on the injector holes (quite hard to get in evenly, new spacer on top of them, fuel injectors back in (lubed liberally with wd40), held the copper washer on the bottom with a splodge of copper grease whilst inserting, turbo pipe back on. I then primed and bled the fuel back up to the fuel filter using a manual pump on the filter out tube, and also primed through the injectors (I think this is what you're supposed to do) by connecting the manual pump to the off pipe after the injectors.

Charged up the battery, all the above took me a couple of weeks a little bit each night, biggest thing I've ever done.

It's cranking but not igniting, no coughing or spluttering with crud or extra stuff in the mix so not sure where I go from here.

I put a simple OBD2 app on my phone and the fuel rail graph goes up, but I'm not sure f that means fuel is getting to the injectors...

Don't know what else to check...

How do I know fuel is getting in from the high pressure rail? I ddn't alter it but had to move it up a little in removing the manifold...

The glow plugs should all be ok as untouched and were working perfectly before (also no fault code coming up on ignition)

Any suggestions would be gratefully received... am about o throw in the towel and call a mechanic, but I started this as I have no money.

I followed the "All things Jim" YouTube video on seal replacement by the way...

I've attached some photos of the crud in the manifold for your amusement

crud1.jpg

crud2.jpg

crud3.jpg

engine1.jpg

Did you put the injectors back in the same place?聽 I do believe they're聽programmed to each cylinder.聽 Whether that would cause聽a complete non start聽though I don't know.

How were the fuel injectors stored after removal? The fuel injectors of the 1.6 TDCI are very delicate/sensitive. Once removed these fuel injectors must be kept filled with either diesel fuel or calibration oil and preferably be stored in an airtight container. This prevents the internal components of the fuel injectors being affected by both oxigen and humidity inside the ambient air.

I have seen several times that improper storage of these fuel injectors during maintenance (especially when the maintenance took several days) resulted in replacing 1 or more fuel injectors.聽

Just kept on a tray in the boot for a week and a half, one was replaced as it was too badly caked in carbon (the large bush it sits in was stuck on removal so had to be replaced also) with one bought from from eBay.

• 4 years later...

Don't think you'll get a response Reo because he's not been on here for a year and a half.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club