zain611

Purpose of supplying driving licence

Was wondering but is there any good purposes of supplying a driving licence when looking for quotes? 

Something else I'd like to ask is my new insurance wants to see me and my dad's (second driver on the policy) driving licenses front and back. Just curious on what they check. Thankfully we both are careful drivers 😊

I've never been asked for anything other than (very rarely) confirmation of NCD from previous insurer. In respect of licence, I've only ever been asked the usual "Do you hold a full UK Licence" and for how many years.

I seem to think someone raised your question on here before, though, but couldn't find it. It seems odd as I thought all this sort of stuff could be confirmed online by insurers these days.

Most insurers will say that it's to verify you are who you say you are and you are the age you state you are. 
Also, when you supply them with your DL number, they can have access to the licence database to check that you aren't lying about your driving history and that you do not have any driving convictions etc. 

I believe this is to prevent fraud, false claims etc. 

It seems to be quite common nowadays, I'd suggest avoiding Hastings Direct unless you want to spend hours finding hundreds of pieces of unnecessary paperwork to scan and send ready for a major data breach. :rolleyes:   Admiral group also seem to be asking for licences now though, they never used to.

They check your entitlement to make sure you have a full licence instead of just provisional, and that you're allowed to drive cars instead of just bikes for example.  They also check any points or previous claims.  They also check date of birth, address and test pass dates.  All of this is accessible online so I really don't see the point of scanning it when you could just give them the number.

18 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

I seem to think someone raised your question on here before, though, but couldn't find it. It seems odd as I thought all this sort of stuff could be confirmed online by insurers these days.

That would be the resident FOC moaner... :whistling:  I was even asked for the V5 to be scanned! :rolleyes: 

25 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

It seems to be quite common nowadays, I'd suggest avoiding Hastings Direct unless you want to spend hours finding hundreds of pieces of unnecessary paperwork to scan and send ready for a major data breach. :rolleyes:   Admiral group also seem to be asking for licences now though, they never used to.

Another reason to avoid Admiral is that they are known to ask if the proposer has attended a speed awareness course and with data sharing it you tell one, you tell them all. 

Of course, once you get a little older, you can use Saga who don't seem to ask anything too complicated, probably to avoid confusing us oldies.😀

Could you get a discount if you put your driving licence number in on comparison sites? 

My sister is with Hastings essentials and I don't think they asked for anything. 

On 7/21/2019 at 5:08 PM, zain611 said:

Could you get a discount if you put your driving licence number in on comparison sites? 

My sister is with Hastings essentials and I don't think they asked for anything. 

I wouldn't say you would get a discount but you'd definitely get a more accurate quote. Obviously asking for a quote and not providing it, they're going off your information that your driving history is correct and accurate, where as if they can check the official database it just provides them accurate reading for a more accurate quote. 

I'm with Hastings Essential and have been the last 2 years, when I got my first quote and accepted it with them, they asked me for my driving license number on the quote phase but it was only optional.