Sign in to follow this  
garmcqui

2016 1.0 Ecoboost 125 - Gearbox failure?

Hi all, 

Driving my mother's 2016 Fiesta 1.0 Ecoboost 125 this morning, came to a roundabout and found I couldn't change from 3rd to 2nd. Managed to go around the roundabout and get back home ok, but unable to change out of gear at all.  Doesn't matter what position the gear lever is in it seems to be in 3rd or 4th gear (not sure which) - even with the lever in neutral it's in gear. 

Clutch seems ok though, (as it should be after 10k miles) as depressing the clutch pedal allows engine to idle without any drive.  Car is only a month out of warranty, has 10k miles and has full dealer service history so will be pushing for Ford to cover most if not all the cost. 

Awaiting Ford assistance now and will likely have to be taken to dealer. Just wondering if anyone has any ideas as to what it could be? Gear selector cables maybe? 

Cheers! 

on my 2001 focus one of the selector cables became detached from the gear lever mechanism (lifted up gaiter at bottom of gear lever and could see it). But it did feel looser to move so I was pretty sure it was detached cable before I checked it.

Not sure where the other end of the cables are on your car.

On my 2007 fiesta there was a black plastic cover on front of gearbox, the cover kind of hinged open to see the cables. So if you can get to that easily then have a look while someone moves the gearlever in the car. The 2007 fiesta did not have  big undertray under the engine so it was quite easy to get to up under / behind the front bumper.

If you have a big undertray it makes life more difficult.

It would seem a bit annoying if it had to be taken to main dealer for a basic check of what might be wrong. Breakdown service should at least be able to check if it's a case of something detached / broken between gear lever and gearbox.

Just an update...

the dealer has had been in touch to say they’ve stripped the gearbox and it is a broken gear selector. Quite an expensive repair apparently, but Ford are covering 100% of the cost as a goodwill gesture. 😊