Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fiesta mk6 steering rack

EVPaul

Hi guys, I've just converted my '57 plate Fiesta to electric.

Does anyone out there know of any manual (not-powered) steering rack that could replace the original hydraulic PAS rack, please ?

Maybe a lower ratio & maybe from something else that I could modify. Thanks.

Hi, have you tried to find electric pump from different car to replace original?Or you don`t want to use any?

I know it's not ideal. But you could use the E-pas setup from Mk6 1.6 tdcis. Runs completely independent from everything else. Would be an easy install.

Failing that a saxo E Pas pump would also suffice.

Depending on how the rack is operated you may be able to strip and remove the rams. Making it lighter to steer. But it'll never be that nice as the angle on the struts is to vertical.

A lot of cars that have both Pas and non Pas models have different arms/bottom ball joints to combat this allowing the suspension leg to sit a couple of degrees farther forward. Saying this is you've managed to get a EV conversion done in sure you're capable of getting a couple of shims machined to add a degree or two caster to the front suspension via top mount tilting. Then use a standard rack with the pas removed from it.

Hope any of this helps.

• Like 1

are you saying you have installed the electric power steering column from a Mk7 into your Mk6? why did you do this?

Hi, thanks for all the replies.

Yes, I am aware that the diesel version has an electric pump but that still uses significant amps & all power usage is an issue for me, so don't really want t use any PAS.

Didn't realise that PAS systems use a different caster angle. I could change that, but I guess there'll be no data available as I think all Mk6's were PAS & that would mean a lot of trial & error. Then there are other variables - I'm also looking for 4.5 or 5.0J steel wheels so as to fit narrower tyres. Less rolling resistance, lower noise & hopefully reduce steering effort further.

Currently I have removed the pump & connected the rack hydraulic in/out together. This avoids pushing the fluid through the pump but still has to push it back & forth through the valves. I was going to remove all the hydraulicy bits, but then wondered if the rack & pinion would get lubricated ?

Hi, thanks for all the replies.
Yes, I am aware that the diesel version has an electric pump but that still uses significant amps & all power usage is an issue for me, so don't really want t use any PAS.
Didn't realise that PAS systems use a different caster angle. I could change that, but I guess there'll be no data available as I think all Mk6's were PAS & that would mean a lot of trial & error. Then there are other variables - I'm also looking for 4.5 or 5.0J steel wheels so as to fit narrower tyres. Less rolling resistance, lower noise & hopefully reduce steering effort further.
Currently I have removed the pump & connected the rack hydraulic in/out together. This avoids pushing the fluid through the pump but still has to push it back & forth through the valves. I was going to remove all the hydraulicy bits, but then wondered if the rack & pinion would get lubricated ?
I've removed the entire Pas system from previous cars. Not fords. Sometimes in the rack there is a small joint you have to weld that naturally has some play in to dampen the oil moving. It's just a spot weld on my last one I done. Remove all the fluid. Grease what you have to in the rack. It's not a complicated piece of kit at the end of the day.

Also I'd say look at similar sized cars castor. Make a few shims and try

As for the castor angle. Do a little research online to as why older cars needed a little castor. A: makes it easier to steer and B: allows self centering of the wheel when electronics and Pas systems are not involved.

Thanks Bash. It's just my first PAS rack but I will take it off & get into it.

Thanks Bash. It's just my first PAS rack but I will take it off & get into it.
No worries man. Have a nosy in there. See what you've got and report back. [emoji106]

when I said:

"are you saying you have installed the electric power steering column from a Mk7 into your Mk6? why did you do this?"

I might have misunderstood.

as the heading said -

Fiesta mk6 steering rack

and the first line said-

I thought you meant you converted the PAS to electric.

Now I think it means you have taken out the internal combustion engine and put an electric motor in there. 

Is that right?

when I said:
"are you saying you have installed the electric power steering column from a Mk7 into your Mk6? why did you do this?"
I might have misunderstood.
as the heading said -
Fiesta mk6 steering rack
and the first line said-
I thought you meant you converted the PAS to electric.
Now I think it means you have taken out the internal combustion engine and put an electric motor in there. 
Is that right?

Yeah that's what I thought. And his name has EV at the start. It's becoming more common. Im currently planning a Peugeot 205 EV conversion for a friend.

Sorry for confusion. Yes, IC engine & all ancillaries removed. Electric motor directly coupled to gearbox. battery in place of fuel tank. Runs well.

1 hour ago, EVPaul said:

Electric motor directly coupled to gearbox.

This sounds a very interesting conversion.  Does this mean you use more than one gear, or do you just select the most appropriate gear ratio and use it as, in effect, a single ratio drive like most EVs?

Hi, sorry been away. Yes, usually leave in 3rd about town as a single gear drive, but lower to help on hills & higher to help higher speed cruise is possible. Obviously can change whilst stationary but also whilst running, with care ! Electrical reverse. Its just a simpler conversion, rather than connecting direct to drive shafts.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club