Do Not Sell My Personal Information

ford focus, fusion or cmax

Ptek2004

Hi all

my 1.4tdci fusion has been written off today so I need to replace. I travel 300 miles aweek and need fuel economy. Ive seen some good deals on the years 2008/09 on the 1.6 models. The help I need is what is the more reliable motor, the focus cmax or fusion. I know the 1.6 fusion suffers the imjector seal issue as did my previous 1.4 but i enjoyed over 60mpg and I got that upto 160k and 35k of that was mine. seals never leaked but at pull away you could always smell some exhaust fumes with window open for around a minute. only repair i ever made to it was clutch and inlet manilfold rings.

found a nice 2008 focus but have read some pretty dire things about the 1.6. But I need the cheaper road tax and MPG

It's the same 16v 1.6TDCi engine in all of them on those years.  They can all suffer from poor carbon deposits in the oil system, as well as leaky injector seals and eventually blown turbos.

The only difference is the higher powered models use a VNT turbo and have a DPF.  (Some 90bhp models also have a DPF in 2009).

If you choose a DPF model I would make sure it's the later coated type which was fitted from mid 2009ish. 

Personally I'd go with the Focus unless you want the extra height of the CMax.  Never liked the Fusion myself lol.

thanks for that. I didnt realise the they all had the same. I like the height and look of fusion but they are a bit basic. focus does look nice guess a regular service is essential

If you like the hieght of a Fusion try a CMax. Very good handling and can be fun to drive on the twiddley bits.

looking at them now although the 1.6 is a little off putting after reading about problems. maybe another fusion 1,4 lol

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club