Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Anyone Re-furbed Vignale Wheels?

Westville

Looking at having a full size spare and been offered a wheel in need of re-furb - as it's polished alloy rather than painted I wondered if anyone here has managed to re-polish this type of Vignale wheel?

OR anyone got any advice on how best to do it?

wheel.jpg

No Idea but are you sure it will fir in the wheel well? I looked in to having a full size 19" wheel as a spare on my MK4.5 Mondeo and it does not fit in the well.

• Like 1

Sorry should have made my position clearer - I was thinking that in the event I had to use the 'space saver wheel' I thought it would be useful to have a "spare" full size wheel that I could put on the car to replace the tempiorary wheel whilst the original was being repaired.

i know it would not fit in the wheel well so would be kept in the garage until needed

Having owned cars with low profile tyres before I would rather be ready for it happening :whistling:

• 1 month later...

In case anyone else is looking for the same help here is a very good video I found on how to repair and polish mag alloy wheels

Searching for a suitable 'spare' wheel I came across a full set of 20" Vignale Rims for less than the price of one - well chuffed :yahoo:

They need some light re-furbishment which I will do in the next few weeks - then add a set of TPMS valves and some winter tyres and I will be well set for the seasons ahead - will post pics if I remember to take them as I go along

wheels.jpg

Great result, winter tyres are the way forward the brakeing distance in the cold and wet is dramatically reduced allways catchs me out when i first swop. Never mind snow conditions 

• 1 month later...

Update:

Finished stripping the wheels of lacquer and sanding down the metal worm

Just need a couple more dry days to do the final 600 grade rub down and re-polish, then apply 2K lacquer to finish

Here's a few pics of work in progress

Before:

Before.thumb.jpg.890d8521174a38dc2b259079a9f249be.jpg

Rot spots taken out with flappy wheel on Dremel (lacquer still to strip):

2074736977_1stsanding.thumb.jpg.8a7844ef8627c0c708d43cc447eede7d.jpg

1st sanding without lacquer 320 grade:

After.thumb.jpg.4aa9aa32697a50c71908850c1dd52e20.jpg

• Thanks 1

Update:

Fine sanding underway with 1000 grit paper - tried a quick test polish on one section today - well pleased with results using Mothers Mag/Aluminium polish 74565399_2353368208124301_6533577694615961600_n.jpg?_nc_cat=100&_nc_oc=AQk9ooXgefWtpUgXequ9PRbGt91cDHK954aX043otb1tQZ4zywAbY3EB5oeeG-1NgAQ&_nc_ht=scontent-lht6-1.xx&oh=cfbebd4f387ba23ca8c19a112aaa956c&oe=5E18219E

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club