Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FOCUS AMBIENT LIGHT/HANDBRAKE FLASHING

Swallowsrest

Hi

I have seen a few posts about my Focus issue but never an answer from the owners as to the final fix?

basically my 2009 1.8 focus petrol has the ambient light and handbrake light flashing. The anti skid also comes on and the electric windows stop working. I’ve also noticed the ambient temp display goes blank!

Has anyone ever had this and then got it fixed?

many thanks for replies.

21 hours ago, Swallowsrest said:

my 2009 1.8 focus petrol has the ambient light and handbrake light flashing. The anti skid also comes on and the electric windows stop working. I’ve also noticed the ambient temp display goes blank!

Most of those symptoms have the GEM as a common element. This major electronic module is poorly protected, and can often be subject to condensation, or even water from screen or roof leaks, or drips from the aircon, When any corrosion starts, it can have all sorts of odd effects on lighting, locking, windows, wipers, etc etc. One cure is to remove it, strip the casings off, squirt it with contact cleaner or alcohol (IPA is recommended), gently wipe or brush off any visible residues, and dry thoroughly with a hair dryer or in an oven at 50C max. Also inspect & clean the mating connectors.

The GEM / BCM / PJB / Passenger fusebox (all the same thing on the Focus) can be replaced with a second hand one without the need for re-programming (on Mk2/2a Focus only) as long as it comes from a near identical spec. (engine & trim) of car.

The odd one out is the skid warning. If this is the symbol of a car with two wavy lines below, it is usually the ESP warning light. The ESP is built into the ABS unit, and should have nothing much to do with the GEM. It is not even on the same bus, GEM is on the MS-CAN, ABS is on the HS-CAN. Maybe it gets information about ambient temperature from the GEM, that is about the only connection I can think of.

A thread where major GEM problems may have been cured by cleaning is: