Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Organising Music on SD/USB

TomsFocus

So, I've got quite a bit of music on my SD card now and it's starting to get muddled with massively different genres following one another.  I'm just wondering how you sort yours?

Do you sort by artist?  Or by albums?  Or make playlists for different genres?  And where do compilations fit in? 🤔

I've recently had a clearout of all the songs that I always skip so don't have anything left that I don't want on there, but obviously want different things depending on moods and don't have many full albums or compilations left, and have a lot of singles as well, it's all just a bit messy now. :unsure: 

I just leave mine on play all, goes through alphabeticaly if i want something specific i just selet the album or artist. All randomly added to the memory stick, sync 3 sorts it. 1897 tracks very varied😀

• Like 1

Try Mp3Tag, I use it to rewrite all my id3 data so files play in album order and display the correct album art not the generic rubbish produced by gracenote.

I put tracks into album folders and then into artist folders so I can search for particular tracks more easily.

Take a peek at my guides links, I have one on how to use mp3tag to organise your music into a sync2/3 friendly structure.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

On 9/18/2019 at 1:06 PM, pragmatix said:

I just leave mine on play all, goes through alphabeticaly if i want something specific i just selet the album or artist. All randomly added to the memory stick, sync 3 sorts it. 1897 tracks very varied😀

I definitely read that wrong first time...wondering if they were even recording music in 1897!? :laugh: 

Do you know what size stick that is?  I was surprised to find mines only 2GB (borrowed from an old non-smart phone) but it's now nearly full. 

23 hours ago, Stoney871 said:

Try Mp3Tag, I use it to rewrite all my id3 data so files play in album order and display the correct album art not the generic rubbish produced by gracenote.

I put tracks into album folders and then into artist folders so I can search for particular tracks more easily.

Take a peek at my guides links, I have one on how to use mp3tag to organise your music into a sync2/3 friendly structure.

Ah, well this is awkward...I don't have Sync or any artwork in the Golf... :whistling:  Although it's a 2012 model, the headunit is the same one since they came in 2009 so it's not a modern system.

At least, I don't think it shows artwork...  It's a colour screen but doesn't seem to make use of that colour except for the opening 'welcome' screen and the optical parking sensors.  No Nav and the audio screen is all very boring.

That is the same sorting system I'm currently using though, not too hard to find things but makes for a very odd experience when I've got Red Hot Chilli Peppers followed by S'Epxress followed by Sade… :laugh: :lol:  

IMG_20180705_144302397_HDR.thumb.jpg.5cf6447e3e0bb6b4804c83d1d276a2da.jpg

IMG_20190919_165435436.thumb.jpg.16423a4fc495601b4933e943edb7cbdd.jpg

IMG_20190919_165408586.thumb.jpg.d940f2173da0a5e1b9db68e87db8e018.jpg

@TomsFocus im on an 8gb and its not full ripped at the highest rate useing windows player gets all the correct album pictures and as I said I let sync sort the playlists normally do it by voice controls browse is the command, works well.

• Thanks 1

That's an old school Bolero isn't it?

I think the only option you have for organisation is to sort into Folders - you might have to duplicate tracks to get it to do what you want (re: genre based playback, etc). 

The advantage you have is that I don't think your radio is built into your car so much except for the parking sensors - so you may find that an aftermarket radio might give you more control than the OEM one. As you get newer, the radio is more and more integrated to the point that the new radios are completely separate screen / control units!

14 hours ago, Micro said:

That's an old school Bolero isn't it?

I think the only option you have for organisation is to sort into Folders - you might have to duplicate tracks to get it to do what you want (re: genre based playback, etc). 

The advantage you have is that I don't think your radio is built into your car so much except for the parking sensors - so you may find that an aftermarket radio might give you more control than the OEM one. As you get newer, the radio is more and more integrated to the point that the new radios are completely separate screen / control units!

I know it as an RCD510 but it might be called Bolero in the Skoda?  I'm sure the VW radios used to have more interesting names...definitely had a Gamma in the Mk4 Golf...separate single DIN CD & tape deck! :laugh: 

Yeah I think you're right, I'll either have to stick with the slightly odd mix of tracks or sort it into genres instead.  There's not enough space on this card to duplicate tracks and make both.

I hate aftermarket headunits lol, not that I could afford one anyway.  I do miss built in sat nav though, that's the main reason I'd swap the headunit for a better one.  I've only had one car with it so far ('04 Audi A3) but it was far more useful than I'd expected, especially with the TMC as well.  Tbh I was really surprised how good it was for a 2004 system!  Bose Speakers too...  The Mk6 audio is definitely a downgrade compared!  It does have DAB which the Audi didn't but without a roof aerial it's pretty pointless as the signal is so poor lol.

On 9/19/2019 at 2:43 PM, pragmatix said:

@TomsFocus im on an 8gb and its not full ripped at the highest rate useing windows player gets all the correct album pictures and as I said I let sync sort the playlists normally do it by voice controls browse is the command, works well.

I've just filled mine to the brim, technically 2GB but only 1.86GB useable.  438 songs (had to remove a few), about half WMA and half MP3. 

I'm looking at this tiny micro SD card and complaining that it can 'only' fit 438 songs...technology eh! :laugh: 

2 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

I've just filled mine to the brim, technically 2GB but only 1.86GB useable.  438 songs (had to remove a few), about half WMA and half MP3. 

I'm looking at this tiny micro SD card and complaining that it can 'only' fit 438 songs...technology eh! :laugh: 

Yep I was stunned as to how many tracks i good get on to mine, it would be a boot full of CD's😂

Just got to work out how to get over 2000 vinyl albums  to mp3😀

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, pragmatix said:

Yep I was stunned as to how many tracks i good get on to mine, it would be a boot full of CD's😂

Just got to work out how to get over 2000 vinyl albums  to mp3😀

https://www.whathifi.com/advice/how-to-digitise-your-vinyl-collection

Never done it mind, any album I had on vinyl that I wanted a digital copy of I either downloaded it or bought the CD 😉

• Like 2

I think ill just leave it all on vinyl, still the best sound, 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, pragmatix said:

Not easy to play in the car though! 😆

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, pragmatix said:

Just need to buy an old American land yacht 😎

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Turvey said:

Good idea but can't imagine that in the UK...hit one pot hole and you'll skip half the record! :laugh:

19 minutes ago, Turvey said:

Fine for singles😂

I might have to buy one of those for my Dad's Jag...he's got some fantastic 45's from his youth that I can see him cruising the streets with now...including the rare uncensored, UK banned, Big Five by Prince Buster from 1970...  If you were offended by Frankie saying Relax in the 80s then it's not for you... :laugh: 

I won't link it as it's very NSFW but if you haven't heard it, it's on YouTube with no age restriction. :lol: 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club