Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MK6 Cigarette lighter wiring

Scutman

Hi

I have a bluetooth transmitter that I plug into the 12v cigarette lighter socket to power. Problem is that the socket is permanently live, which means that the transmitter is live all the time. Is there a way to wire the socket so it is only live when ignition is on. There are two wires, orange/yellow and a black going to the back of the socket, by looking at the wiring diagram in the manual the Or/Yl goes to the fuse box, and the black is earth.

Is there a way to move the Or/Yl cable to another position on the fuse box that makes it ignition live?

IMG_1282.jpg

IMG_1283.jpg

I have done this with my 2007 Zetec S.

In conjunction with fitting a longer Fusion handbrake surround with the extra socket, one of sockets is permanent and one switches with the ignition.

The switched supply is fed from the unused TCU fuseway F2 using a piggy back fuse holder.  Although there is only the supply connector in the the fuse box, the piggyback fuse holder will stay in place.

• Like 1

Hi Paul, thanks for replying, so are you saying that you replaced the permanent live (Orange/ Yellow) cable going to the back of the lighter socket with a cable going up to the fuse box using a piggy back fuse holder? Did you replace the black cable (I'm guessing that's an Earth)

Can you please expand on the TCU fuseway F2, whereabouts is that, on the main fuse box behind the glovebox? is it a normal piggy back fuse?

You should have a decal on the back of the glove box pertinent to your car, these are from a '57 1.6 petrol Zetec S, so may be different.

I ran a separate additional earth, as I had extended the original feed to the additional socket at the back of the handbrake surround

Fuses 4red.jpg

Decalred.jpg

There are a number of fuseways into which you could put a piggy back, but I have actually used both vacant trailer control unit fuseways for various things - ie not interfering with anything else.

Having had a coffee, here is a suggestion for you:

Procure in line fuse holder.

Cut a fuse in half, remove all plastic and solder the fuse holder wires on to the two halves of the fuse. Suitably sleeve solder joints.

Remove cigarette lighter socket fuse from fuse box.

Insert said fuse into inline fuse holder.

One end of fuse holder into unused TCU fuseway, and other end into load side of cigarette lighter socket fuseway

No need to interfere with any wiring, and easy to restore to normal

Hi Paul

I do have a similar layout to yours, so I have the two spare trailer points, I have a wire already running from the lighter socket to the fuse box, with a piggyback fuse holder on it the other end, so all I have to do is plug that into the empty trailer fuse socket, what fuse would you suggest? run another cable for the black and earth that somewhere, where did you earth the black cable? and it'll work!!

Further update

I have run two wires from the cigarette lighter, one to replace the Orange/Yellow, and one to replace the black cable.

I ran the Or?YL cable to fuse box, connected it to a piggyback fuse holder and plugged it into the empty trailer fuse box socket with a 15amp fuse in it.

The black cable I connected to a bolt by the door hinges where I've already earth a cable for my dash cam.

Still it doesn't come on, nothing, no power with or without ignition on!

What am I doing wrong, someone please help, I'm pulling my hair out, simple task and it doesn't work😢

Attached is the photo of the spare fuse port (Circled) where I plugged in the piggyback fuse holder.

IMG_1297.jpg

Try turning the piggy back upside down - and make sure the fuse is in the correct side for the output to the flying lead.

Piggy back fuses can be fitted two ways (Obviously!) the common end should be at the bottom in this case.

And I would not put anything bigger than a 7.5A fuse in myself.

Hi Paul

Thank you for being patient with me

Success! I only tried it one of the spare ports, should have tried the other one, worked straight away. 

Thanks for your help

Paul

• 2 years later...

Hi. I've just bought  used 07 Fiesta and noticed what looked like a dodge rebuild. But have noticed same round bar above fuse box in Paulkps picture . Anyone have an idea why it's there ?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club