Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cruise control playing up!!

SteveTT800

I have a Ford Fiesta mk7.5 Titanium EcoBoost 2014, sometimes whilst driving I like to switch on the CC, unfortunately by my car this is not one of the easiest things to do, I switch it on and press SET but no light on my dash, press OFF and then ON again still no light on dash, switch it OFF, while driving suddenly the CC light on the dash lights up, take my foot of the gas and the car slows down, so the CC is not set, weird or not?

Sometimes I press ON and SET and it lights up on my dash and it works like a dream, but what I mentioned above happens quite a lot.

Anyone got any ideas on whats wrong? Here in Holland they tell me the switch should be taken off the steering wheel and cleaned and vaseling put on the contacts, cannot understand why!! Ford said if I pay them €100 they would take a look and probably fit a new switch, at the time I thought thats a bit steep, but I am leaning towards this option, if I have something on my car I always want it to work, otherwise you might as well take it off.

What do you guys think?

Try spraying the switch with contact cleaner. Also check your connections to the brake and accelerator sensor switches (attached to the pedals).  

If that doesn’t work a new OEM cruise control switch is about €23 on eBay. Make sure you get the correct year model as the lights are different colour for the facelift/PFL. It’s easily replaced by unscrewing 3 screws at the rear of the steering wheel. 

Is it like the audio controls - give it a bang with your fist and then it works as it should?

I had similar issues with mine. I ended up just replacing the buttons on the steering wheel and that sorted it right out. 

Mine plays up too.   I can usually get it to work by pressing the off switch first then the on switch and then set.   I sometimes have to do this several times before it works but once it's working everything is fine.

I`ve asked Ford for a quote to replace the cruise control switch.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/aqxke5tn8b9whhu/Activating cruise control.docx?dl=0&fbclid=IwAR12_BFIz_Yc8EKi2VP-JeIhO5BNkrP70o907BCykevSAHSTnkWL_mGePDE

This will help if you wanna do it yourself. You can detach airbag, detach the silver trim part and change the switch into new one.

7 hours ago, Jeipii said:

This will help if you wanna do it yourself. You can detach airbag, detach the silver trim part and change the switch into new one.

With a bit of wriggling you don’t even need to detach the airbag. 

On 9/27/2019 at 2:07 PM, SteveTT800 said:

I`ve asked Ford for a quote to replace the cruise control switch.

Can you tell us what you were quoted Steve?

On 9/24/2019 at 7:17 PM, Bobr said:

Mine plays up too.   I can usually get it to work by pressing the off switch first then the on switch and then set.   I sometimes have to do this several times before it works but once it's working everything is fine.

I don't believe this can be the fault of the switches as since yesterday it has been working perfectly.   I'm tending to think it's a software problem.

On 9/28/2019 at 3:55 PM, ThaiFiesta said:

With a bit of wriggling you don’t even need to detach the airbag. 

And how would you go about doing that?

23 hours ago, SteveTT800 said:

And how would you go about doing that?

Remove the 3 torx screws in the rear and wriggle it out. There’s possible a you tube video. 

On 9/28/2019 at 4:18 PM, Bobr said:

Can you tell us what you were quoted Steve?

By a Ford garage nearby where I live in the Netherlands, for a new cruise control and 1 hour labour they are asking 112 euro`s, about 100 quid

• Like 1

So, its been fixed, got a new one, and asked for the old one just to make sure they changed them, wouldn`t be the first time you pay for something new and get a refurbished item.

That's excellent. It's not hard to do but at least you didn't have to worry about accidentally setting off your airbag; that was the only thing that worried me when I took mine out and disconnected it.

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

I have just been fighting mine to replace the cruise control buttons on a 2013 Titanium 1.0  125bhp Ecoboost and after giving up on getting the airbag off, you can just remove the surrounding. But it is held in with plugs with rubber sockets. So after removing the 3 screws it doesn't appear to want to move. Just prise it off and it will come out.

When I first got my Titanium 2 years ago I had the same problem as described.

It just happened that the deal I got back then included a 2 year parts warranty so I took it back.

They replaced the whole unit, not just the switch, under the warranty. Works perfectly ever since.
That warranty turned out good as I also had a new alternator from it last year.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club