Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fire ?!

Pokelet

So it's a Galaxy Mk3 Petrol 2011.

Driving fine yesterday, parked up for an hour or so and came back to a pancake flat battery. Or so I thought. Popped to the in-laws to pick up a jump start pack, half an hour later back at the car, turned it over, fired up and no need for the jump.

Drove it round a few miles to work the gremlins out. Stopped it and started again... No electricity, engine turning, revved it and got the electronics going.

Then smell of burning plastic and smoke from the near side bonnet, 20 yards from home. Got it on the drive (loosing PAS along the way). Ignition off, smoke goes, change underpants.

Garage can't look at it until Monday and not relishing a new fusebox I took a look under the bonnet this afternoon. All appears normal apart from the battery negative connection on the bulkhead. Bright white and melted insulation tape.

What could have caused it? Could it of fried the ECU?

IMG_20191026_164329133.jpg

It could just be a poor connection at that cable end where it bolts on which has caused it to get hot due to the current being too much for the dodgy connection. Or it could be poor connection where the cable is crimped in the connector. If it was the first suggestion, the heat caused by that might now have caused a problem with the crimped part. I would unbolt it. Clean it up with wire wool or maybe a file on the part that connects to car body. And check to see if crimping burnt / loose. Might need new cable.

• Like 1

Thanks, I had a look earlier and getting the battery out on one of these is not a 5 minute job, especially with kids running round. 

In to the garage it goes.