Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1.0 ecoboost turbo wastegate rattle ?

Eng_Ahmad1986

Hello to all 

I have a 2019 fiesta mk8 1.0 ecoboost 100ps automatic, current mileage is 9k miles.

I have this strange rattle at cold startup, only happens at cold startup, I will explain it in details :

Early in the morning, I switch on the engine, it idles high, around 1250 rpm for a minute or so, that's normal for cold startup, the rattle happens within that minute only.

after switching the engine on for about 10 seconds, there two consecutive rattles that can be clearly heard, every rattle has 1 second duration, and the two rattles are separated by 1 second time interval. now this may be happening since day 1 but I didn't notice, or it may be happening a month ago, I'm not sure.

today in the early morning, before switching the engine on, I opened the hood, then I started the engine and got back quickly to the hood to notice the wastegate rod behavior. after 10 seconds, when the rattle starts, I noticed that the wastegate rod moving down all the way, for 1 second , and then it returns back to its original position and the rattle stops , for 1 second , and then going all the way down again with second rattle, for 1 second also and then returns back to its normal position , afterwards it idles fine , note that there is no change in RPM or any unusual vibrations in the engine during the rattle, also there are no warning lights or anything unusual. 

now I understand that the movement of the wastegate rod is the one that is causing the rattles, but my question is : is this a normal behavior for the wastegate rod to move like that during cold startup ?

I know that the wastegate is vacuum operated, so I'm thinking what could be affecting the vacuum on the wastegate to make the rod move like that, and only for 2 seconds, on every cold startup, do you have any idea ?

thank you very much for considering.

• 1 year later...

Hi,

I have the same problem with my focus 15 plate 1.0 125 ecoboost. 
Have you found out if that’s normal or turbo needs changing. 
Thanks

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club