Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Breakdown after massive puddle

The Finance Guy

Earlier on today I came across a huge puddle and didn’t spot it in time to slow down much before I got to it. It was across the whole road but just after a corner. 

It was in my Ranger, so I made it through ok and out the other side quick enough, and went along fine for about another mile, then multiple dash lights and cut out. I had a look under the hood to see if there was anything obvious that was soaked or anything, but all looked fine. Checked the dipstick for any signs of water in the oil, but looked fine. Opened the air box, filter looked ok and the box was dry inside. 

Got back in and ignition on, no lights. Started up just fine and went for another 200 yards or so and then died again. Pulled it over and called someone to come pick us up - was with my daughters and had to focus on getting them home. Wasn’t far from home so I was happy to leave the pickup where it was. 

I need to go back down with the scanner later once the wife is home to stay with the kids, but I’m just trying to figure out what might be the issue based on the circumstances. I will go over later on with the OBD scanner and check what the codes are. 

I have never experienced a hydrolock situation before, but I reckoned if there was anything like that, I wouldn’t have made it the mile or so after the puddle right? 

Is there a sensor that kills it when it gets wet in a certain place to protect the engine? Or could I have hurt an injector or two? Or potentially the plugs? 

I’m sure it could be electronic, maybe even killed a sensor, and actually the puddle might have nothing to do with it...

Anyone got any insights or thoughts as to what could be going on? I’m quite competent mechanically but was limited to what I could do at the time with my daughters there. 

Sounds more like wet electrics than hydrolock tbh.
Water in sensors, coilpack or fusebox most likely culprits.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

Similar thing happened to me a couple of weeks ago when we had the bad floods. No particular big puddle, but wouldn't start after shutting down. Waited 2 and half hours for AA (they were rather busy that morning!). All they did was disconnect the battery for 10 minutes and reconnect, everything back to normal. Always worth a try when the electrics get their knickers in a twist.

• Thanks 1

I'll put money on it starting up when you go back to it, I'd guess at it being water ingress in the areas Clive mentioned, unlikely it's the plugs. Wether you need to disconnect the battery first is anyone's guess but it's a good shout, let the circuitry 'reset' itself.

Fingers crossed for you [emoji1696]

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

Thanks. I’ve been worried sick all afternoon now since, but just a few people being positive and pragmatic definitely settles me down. 

I reckon it will be fine when I get there later, but there should at least be stored codes to point the finger. I actually only recently put a new battery in it after the stock one went bad, probably a dead cell. I’m a bit worried that I’m now going to be plagued with an electrical gremlin now for the lifetime of the thing....

• Like 1

I'd be feeling sick until ingot back to it too.

Well everyone was right - seems to be absolutely fine now no issues. 

Scanned it, and not even any codes. That actually worries me more though as at least if there was a code i would know what happened, what needs sorted. But no. It’s a mystery, and now I am going to be nervous driving it for a bit...

Well everyone was right - seems to be absolutely fine now no issues. 
Scanned it, and not even any codes. That actually worries me more though as at least if there was a code i would know what happened, what needs sorted. But no. It’s a mystery, and now I am going to be nervous driving it for a bit...
That's good news, I know what you mean about wanting to know the cause. Perhaps it's just going to be one of those things that are never explained [emoji2371] that's a common enough diagnosis at the garage lol.
Don't feel nervous driving it, do what I do when I am nervous, have a wee dram first. That will sort you right out [emoji6]

• Like 1

Take it from somebody who hydrolocked an engine (petrol in that case), you'd have not been going 1/100th mile let alone a mile.

I had to wait for breakdown firm, who seemed surprised when i said to just take plugs out  while I took out the air filter,  we had 30 seconds of a fountain display, then spray WD40 and back together,  it started. Pity I forgot my crank breather was the lowest point of the air filter housing, used it for awhile before I realised my "oil" level had gone up. I was lucky and the HG ring failed and went from round to egg-shaped, rather than con rods getting bent etc, but that engine came to a very abrupt stop once water entered the cylinders.

You probably had water get somewhere awkward, but some drained and the engine heat dried the rest out.perhaps a little spray of WD40 over the electrics in the engine bay when the engine is cool, just to reduce the chance of water getting in any of those bits in the future.

I've driven a ranger in floods of 2007 and flood water came over the bonnet, filled the headlights , was that deep that the tyres were loosing grip even in 4 wheel drive. So I'm supprised a ranger couldn't manage a puddle. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, iantt said:

I've driven a ranger in floods of 2007 and flood water came over the bonnet, filled the headlights , was that deep that the tyres were loosing grip even in 4 wheel drive. So I'm supprised a ranger couldn't manage a puddle. 

Same here, but I’ve had a number of unexplainable electrical issues with this one...

Also I certainly shouldn’t have been going the speed I was when I hit it

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club