Do Not Sell My Personal Information

focus mk4 handbrake

cdp2911

Auto handbrake on occasions does not come on which is a worry.This has happened on several occasions been to dealer they say all is fine.                                                                            The car is a focus stline x anyone else had the same issue?

Dunno, don't use it.  It is triggered by clutch on a manual and accelerator so maybe it's something you're not doing?

Are you talking about auto hold when driving or the auto parking brake when stopping and turning the engine off/getting out.

I've learnt to get used to the system and it works fine for me. Only time it doesn't is when you don't have seat belt on (which I was told by dealer). Just FYI, that's after I've got out to open the gate and am just parking on the drive 😉

I just pull the little lever.  Then I always know it's worked.

The red "handbrake" light comes on in the dash when it does it automatically, I just wait for that.

3 hours ago, cdp2911 said:

Auto handbrake on occasions does not come on which is a worry.This has happened on several occasions been to dealer they say all is fine.                                                                            The car is a focus stline x anyone else had the same issue?

Mine works fine, but you have to get into the habit of putting a bit firmer pressure on the brake pedal right at the end once you have stopped. Sometimes, if you come to a stop with only very little pressure on the pedal, the system fails to hold, but a bit more pressure on the pedal makes it work just fine every time.

• Like 2

Thanks for the help.I always do the same thing i pull up put foot on brake press ignition button.Several times it aint come on its driving me mad as i cant trust it.                            Maybe its just a intermittent fault with my car to be honest i think its a very poor system should have a light on the button for a start with audible warning.

Try pushing brake a bit harder when you come to stop, I've found that's needed for auto hold, maybe i'm doing subconciously for the parking brake too.

On my mk4 pedal you can feel a definite change when you press hard enough to activate the stopstart and the hill hold.

1 hour ago, alexp999 said:

Try pushing brake a bit harder when you come to stop, I've found that's needed for auto hold, maybe i'm doing subconciously for the parking brake too.

I have even tried not putting any pressure on the pedal and hand brake comes on.opening door does the same plus undoing seatbelt. Works nearly all of the time but on occasions it does not.I am at a loss

53 minutes ago, Guy Heaton said:

On my mk4 pedal you can feel a definite change when you press hard enough to activate the stopstart and the hill hold.

Yes i agree you can feel the pedal move underfoot when i dont feel it i know that its not activated.I have had the car 6 months and am very frustrated constant worry that it will roll down a hill if i forget to put it  in gear.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club