Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1.5 TDCI fuel filter bleeding

FordSpanner

2013 reg with UGJC engine.

I don't know whether is an electric or mechanical fuel pump.

When I change the filter, is it sufficient, once the filter cap is fitted, to fill it brim full with diesel as a way of bleeding before refitting the pipes?

If its electrical turn ignition on for 40 seconds ,then off and then try and start.

........ and what's the procedure for the mechanical pump option?

Do NOT inject fuel into the 'out' spout of the filter.... only  the IN spout, as you mustn't let unclean fuel get to  the injectors. These fuel filters are good for 3 microns! Have you got a hand pump... one of those rubber bulb things? If you have, fill the filter (using the IN spout) then connect the bulb/hand pump to the OUT spout to draw the fuel through the filter till it starts to appear. Then top up the via the IN spout again till full. Crank engine, for max 30 secs at a time. Should fire by then. 

Yes, I'd always pour fuel in via the inlet spout. Pouring in via the outlet defeats the purpose of the filter.

If I need to use a hand primer, what's the outside diameter of the spouts on the filter cap?  I need to get the right size pipe and primer.

Spout diam on the Mondeo diesel filter is 10mm.. dunno what it is on yours tho'..... Why not get a bit of 8mm and 10mm ID pipe, it's not expensive... 🤔 

Top tip:the Laser hand pump doesn't like diesel despite what it says, and the non-return valve soon fails... usually the next time you get it out. 

I've bought one of the rubber bulb types c/w pipes that I've seen in the YT videos for this task.

The filter is about 0.33L so shouldn't need much bleeding.

cheers

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club